2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

new belt,still squeels(video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 08:22 PM
44dakota
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new belt,still squeels(video)

hey guys ,this belt squeal is driving me nuts!! its got a new belt and new tensioner,still squeels like crazy!! im thinking it might be my AC pulley,,,what do you guys think???check the vid..

Old 05-03-2014, 08:31 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a noise almost exactly like that when my idler pulley started having problems. New pulley form Napa cost about $30.00, fixed it right up.

Jimmy

Old 05-03-2014, 10:42 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Hmm. It's a bad engine. Time to swap in a HEMI!

Old 05-03-2014, 11:17 PM
44dakota
Veteran

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
I had a noise almost exactly like that when my idler pulley started having problems. New pulley form Napa cost about $30.00, fixed it right up.

Jimmy

thanks jimmy,im gonna try a new idler.if that don't work,then im almost positive its the AC pulley bearing..

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
Hmm. It's a bad engine. Time to swap in a HEMI!
lol,or maybe I should get it fixed up and trade it off on a hemi,but,i will say,with the new cam I put in,this 360 is pretty bad @ss!!

Old 05-04-2014, 08:18 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I had similar problems with a couple different belts, the squeak would stop for a while then come back. It sounded exactly like that too. What ended up fixing it was a Goodyear Gatorback belt. I'm not sure if the ribbed pattern of it helped, or if it being a bit shorter than the other belts did (more tension on it), but either way it hasn't made a sound in well over a year.

Last edited by that_guy; 05-04-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:47 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC

Jimmy
Idler pulley is easy to remove, take it off and spin it with your hand. If it feels like it has grit or sand in it or feels rough as you spin it you need a new one.

Jimmy

Old 05-05-2014, 10:24 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had the same issue went through it replacing parts over and over again; new belt solved it for a little bit but then came back; even a gator back;the Gator back that helped mine out too i thought for a short while.. but always was futile... i replaced the idler too and still had the issue; only when its cool; or very 'moist'... usually.. if the humidity is low then not so much or very hott.. usually mine takes a moment but the issue is the tensioner pulley it self.. is where i tracked it down from.. take a little WD40 and spray right on the back of the shaft carefully not to spray on the belt or your coil or anything else; very little it should quiet up a little to confirm its your issue.. or you can use a mechanics stethoscope as well... either way..

the bearings are not sealed well; moister gets in there and causes either a little rust or just dry in general from the moisture. i put a dayco (Supposed to be best aftermarket) on mine 3 of them and still does it.. Lulz i wont do that again..

would advise getting a dealer one on this one i think they are sealed better and wont happen as much.. unless someone has other suggestions. i have still yet to fix mine.. I'm in Texas so its not as often i hear this once things start to warm up.

Last edited by jondakotaguy; 05-05-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:29 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I was starting to suspect the tensioner on mine too, but it hasn't made noise with the new belt in over a year. I'm guessing that in a new position (since this belt is a bit shorter) it's happier.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:04 AM
44dakota
Veteran

im gonna try a new idler this weekend,jondakotaguy ill try the wd40 on the tensioner as well..i think of all the things ive done to my truck,this has got to be the most annoying problem yet,very hard to pinpoint were its squeeking at...

Quick Reply: new belt,still squeels(video)