2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

removing mechanical fan for MPG gain

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 04:19 PM
TheNewbie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, and I didn't see that you have the 4.7. I would NEVER risk overheating a 4.7. EVER.

I ran my 5.2 without a fan in the winter and was fine, and you would probably be fine with the 4.7 as well. But if I had overheated my 5.2 I would ave probably had to pull over for a few minutes until it cooled. If you overheat your 4.7 there is a very big risk that you will do serious engine damage.

With that being said, I have no idea how good your e fan is. I would guess that it would probably be just fine. Do you do much in town driving?

Old 05-09-2014, 07:08 PM
ayoung101
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheNewbie
Yeah, and I didn't see that you have the 4.7. I would NEVER risk overheating a 4.7. EVER.

I ran my 5.2 without a fan in the winter and was fine, and you would probably be fine with the 4.7 as well. But if I had overheated my 5.2 I would ave probably had to pull over for a few minutes until it cooled. If you overheat your 4.7 there is a very big risk that you will do serious engine damage.

With that being said, I have no idea how good your e fan is. I would guess that it would probably be just fine. Do you do much in town driving?
well, it the gains are minimal and the risk is high, then it sounds like it's not worth the effort. why is the 4.7 at higher risk? is there a common failure that i am unaware of?

as for my efan, it works great, turns on with the AC and when things get hot, but it's just not enough to cool on really hot days or when towing. i do a lot of city driving (not necessarily stop and go, but slower speeds)(although we do get traffic jams in detroit)

Old 05-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Big_Texxan
Professional

i havent had one on in 3 years. The electric fans, in stop and go traffic keep it cool, and I live in Georgia

Old 05-09-2014, 09:32 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Originally Posted by Big_Texxan
i havent had one on in 3 years. The electric fans, in stop and go traffic keep it cool, and I live in Georgia
Good post!

I haven't had mine on for a couple years either... no problems.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:17 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I replaced my mechanical fan with an electric one from a Taurus. Running with nothing but the factory auxiliary fan just screams bad idea if you ask me though.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:44 AM
Big_Texxan
Professional

Its not a thing to keep it one.. If you have the stock efan, (2000+) then it comes on at 210+ degrees which is supposed to keep the motor from overheating.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:31 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

I'm in Georgia too and you're a braver man than me. With my constant sitting in midtown Atlanta traffic, that's one mod I won't chance.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:04 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Its not a thing to keep it one.. If you have the stock efan, (2000+) then it comes on at 210+ degrees which is supposed to keep the motor from overheating.

It's not designed to cool the engine on it's own though, just to be a supplement to the mechanical fan.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:50 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of you guys are way too worried about things.
With the correct set up on an E Fan you will have absolutely no problems. Only benefits.
But hey, if you can't trust your truck or the work you do to your truck then yes, I agree you should leave everything stock and dont mess with it.
Keeping the mechanical fan is foolproof.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by RDuck
With the correct set up on an E Fan you will have absolutely no problems. Only benefits.
But we're not talking about replacing the mechanical fan with an electrical. We're talking deleting it and relying solely on the secondary electric fan that comes with tow package, right?

Quick Reply: removing mechanical fan for MPG gain