2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Sounds like a failing coil?...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 06:33 PM
Hanneman
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grrr...

So the shop has had it all day today, ran every diagnostic and tested every sensor and they are unable to pin-point it.

Seems there's a 5 volt draw somewhere that they can't identify from the normal test spots.

I recently had my car stereo upgraded, could the problem be there?

Old 06-24-2014, 07:30 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is an update if anyone is interested..After swapping out the CKP on Saturday I did drive the truck just a few miles Saturday afternoon to drop it off at Firestone to get the alignment done and tires balanced, then back home on Sunday. It was only a few miles round trip but the truck started and ran fine.

I drove the truck to work yesterday, it ran fine in the morning, no problems at all. I tried my best to duplicate it cutting off in traffic by making a stop at CVS for about 15 minutes and then going home. I left the store, truck did fine, came to the same intersection where the engine had cut off in traffic last week, truck ran fine and I came home.

I drove it to work today, again it was running fine, came home and made a stop at Walmart, left Walmart and the truck started and ran fine. I stopped again at the gas station, and the truck started and ran perfectly coming home.

I am pointing out these details to illustrate that I have duplicated the problem the best I can with a long drive in the heat and then a short trip just a little while later. Those were the conditions when my engine cut off last week. I tried to drive in the same conditions yesterday and today and the truck has not yet had the stalling/engine shut off problem again since I replaced the MAP, CKP and coil last week. The outside temperature was about the same yesterday and today as it was last week too, very hot, about 95 degrees and no rain.

I am calling it done. I am trying to be cautiously optimistic but I do believe the CKP was the problem all along. I believe I have this problem fixed now. Many thanks to TNTech and everyone else who responded here. If the stall/shut off does happen again you can bet I will post back here but I hope this may help Hanneman and anyone else who had this problem.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Sounds like a failing coil?...