2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Changing front wheel hub assembly

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 09:18 AM
DakotaBlood
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing front wheel hub assembly

So my front bearing went out on my 2000 Dakota 4.7. I have everything taken apart and the new one ready to go HOWEVER I cant get the dang bolts that attach the hub to the spindle loose to save my fricking life. I've coated them with PB blaster and tried tapping them loose with a hammer and still am not having any luck. Heres my questions for anyone thats done it is 9/16th's the correct size or is it 14mm I've heard both. Also I can't get a good fit with a socket because of the stupid CV boot is in the way, can I just tap the spindle loose and move it out of the way? I've seen some people take the whole CV off and then you have access but I'm already having a hard time with the bolts I have now....
Also I don't have air tools or power tools I'm not sure you can fit a air socket in there. Any help figuring this out would be extremely helpful. This is my only vehicle and I'm having a hard time getting around without it. Thanks

Old 05-31-2014, 09:33 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe I used 14mm and a big breaker bar.

Keep using PB blaster and try some heat - I use a blowtorch.

You should be able to get a socket in there, just turn the wheels to give you more room

Once you get the bolts out and need to pry the rusted hub off of the spindle is where I had a hell of a time... lots of PB and bashing with a hammer and rock chisel.

Good luck

Old 05-31-2014, 09:37 AM
DakotaBlood

Thanks SXR, just getting pretty frustrating cause I'm not getting a real good fit so one of my bolts is starting to round which if it does it too much I'm totally screwed so I need to figure out how to take care of it soon lol. Thanks

Old 05-31-2014, 09:41 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Been a while since I changed one but they are metric. Use a 6 point socket!

I used an extension on the socket and turned the wheel a bit so I could gain access.

Then I had to use a small chisel to separate the hub from the spindle.

This was the 4wd hub, not the 2wd.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:58 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DakotaBlood
Thanks SXR, just getting pretty frustrating cause I'm not getting a real good fit so one of my bolts is starting to round which if it does it too much I'm totally screwed so I need to figure out how to take care of it soon lol. Thanks
If you round it too much, hammer a 13mm socket over it. You'll need to replace the bolt but that won't be difficult if you take one of the good ones to a hardware store.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:04 AM
DakotaBlood

Ah good call I've never tried that before but sounds like it would work, can you get a bolt from a hardware store or does it have to be from the dealer. I called Dodge and there $10 a piece!!!

Old 05-31-2014, 10:31 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

You should definitely be able to find one from a hardware store.

Just make sure the the thread size and length are the same. It doesn't need to be a 14mm head (although its nice).

Just make sure to go with a Grade 5 or higher to be safe.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:27 PM
Vladek
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i used a short 6 point socket with an extension on mine. (worse case scenario, take the that holds the hub bearing off completely. chisel or grind the heads off the bolt and replace the bolts.)

Old 06-23-2014, 04:38 PM
KillerKilgore
Professional

Nut cutter/splitter then get 3 new nuts. I've got 3 different size nuts and I have no problems.

Quick Reply: Changing front wheel hub assembly