2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

what about thermoplastic bushings ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:43 PM
LIZZRD
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default what about thermoplastic bushings ?

So i got my Moog, fairly hard Blue sway bar bushings, in the mail the other day. After a couple days of wire brushing and some penetrating oil i replaced some sorry looking, skinny sway bar links. So glad the Moog came with new bolt/nut.
The rear left shock is in the way for access to the top bolt but can be had with 15 + 19mm deep well socket and wrench. Right side top , i got a little room after
un-hanging the tail pipe and going to my 3/8 drive after doing most work with 1/2" drive socket. At the same time i also sprayed and backed out the bolts holding the sway bar bushings to the axel mounts, (right other side of shock). All these bolts are getting cranked out after about 18years, most spent in the mid-west (salt). The new thermoplastic material is stout stuff, i really don't see the bushings which are split to open enough to go right on. I guess i could undo the links and slide them on with probably some lube, but from my searching there is no lube for these hard bushings. Are the bushings supposed to spread/open onto the bar ?
I wonder about maybe some hot water to aid in the opening ?
Someone with first hand help me/us !
P1010001_zps57a99ffb.jpg

Last edited by LIZZRD; 07-15-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:29 PM
LIZZRD
Veteran

yea, i can see some resent activity going on under there, some much needed brake work and booster. So, i was drawing thinking about this and decided to take a pic... you would being doing ok to pull that dime out...

Old 07-19-2014, 10:21 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

is this something aftermarket bc i dont think my 97' SLT 4x4 has this.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:44 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Those are aftermarket bushings for an optional (rear) or original (front) sway bar.

Me? I ordered first the Raybestos "OEM fit" for my 1988, but they were for a smaller swaybar, so I then measured the bar and ordered some poly ones from Energy Suspension that are greaseable (to help keep the "OOkookOOKook" down)

They actually spread EASIER than the rubber ones did, go figure.

Still, they're not exactly "Jump on up in here!" easy.

Good news is, with my bar out, I can slip them on a lot easier.

RwP

Old 07-19-2014, 11:23 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

"OOkookOOKook"
That's funny

I would like the poly bushings if they were actually formed in the metal bushing sleeve like OEM rubber ones. That’s the reason poly bushings make that ugly noise they move in the bushing sleeve OEM rubber ones are molded into the metal sleeve so no movement or sliding in the sleeve. Now steering stabilizers are not molded but the OEM rubber doesn’t make any noise were as poly will make that strange noise.

OOkookOOKook

Old 07-19-2014, 12:41 PM
jpayne80
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bushings for my front sway bar bushings were the same way. I think it is normal.

BTW, love the elephant!

Old 07-21-2014, 11:34 AM
LIZZRD
Veteran

yea, they are aftermarket ... MOOG.
obviously i will have to unbolt the end links(they are not torqued yet)
and clean/grease bar to slide on. I had the bushing clamps loosened a few threads and after picking up some lumber Sat. the clamps/bushings become un-stuck...

Old 07-21-2014, 01:48 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
That's funny

I would like the poly bushings if they were actually formed in the metal bushing sleeve like OEM rubber ones. That’s the reason poly bushings make that ugly noise they move in the bushing sleeve OEM rubber ones are molded into the metal sleeve so no movement or sliding in the sleeve. Now steering stabilizers are not molded but the OEM rubber doesn’t make any noise were as poly will make that strange noise.

OOkookOOKook
Yah, back in the 70's I learned that as "The Mating Call Of The Small Ford Front End" *grins* Most all early Mustangs, Falcons, and Mavericks used to make that same sound.

That reminds me - the poly ones on the Cougar need a shot of lube again.

AND - the Dakota is going to hit the ground again tonight, alignment tomorrow morning (or so's the plans anyway.)

The sway bar bushings aren't molded into the sway bar brackets from the factory either - the rubber just gives a bit more.

As to the bushings - the rubber is quieter because typically the rubber yields, whereas the center shaft rubs on the poly bushing (which doesn't yield). If they bound it tight, the bushing might as well be aluminum solid for all the give it'd have.

RwP

Quick Reply: what about thermoplastic bushings ?