2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine bogs and sputters

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 02:53 AM
PeteCelery
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine bogs and sputters

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'm new to the forum and couldn't find it. I have a 2001 dakota with a 3.9 V6 with 110k my dad just gave me. When you're driving and give it gas it will spit and sputter and won't rev past 2000RPM while in drive. If you put it in nutarl and rev it it doesn't bog or anything. I can normally tell when it's going to do it cause when you stop at a light it will idle rough and at about 600-800. I've ran injector cleaner and premium fuel in it thinking it would help but it didn't really. If I drive it daily it gets better but when I let it sit for the weekend as I drive my nicer car it runs like **** monday. It throws codes once in a while and when it does it says its a O2 sensor. The last time codes came up it said there was a misfire in #1 and #3. It kinda sounds like it's backfiring too but not a loud bang like a normal backfire when it bogs. This wouldn't be a big problem but I drive on the highway and it does it sometimes as I'm getting on and I don't really feel like getting hit from behind because of a easy fix. Thanks in advance for reading and helping out if you can.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:33 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well yours is kind enough to throw a code... mine did the same thing (02 3.9) and it went on to be my bank 1 upstream sensor.

Search backfire from hell on these forums... I posted a video of the problem and you can hear it backfirih around the 3 man mark. See if its similar.

Quick Reply: Engine bogs and sputters