2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Using Coil + side as ign hot?

Old 08-06-2014, 11:47 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Using Coil + side as ign hot?

I have my MSD using the coil + wire as ignition switched, as per the MSD interface harness. The coil - goes to the MSD white/points wire.

Can I put a relay on this + wire to make an easy tap for underhood ignition on? Or would that draw too much current and upset the PCM? I figure a relay pulls 150 mA max and the coil had to pul more than that, but...

Old 08-06-2014, 12:50 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The PCM grounds the coil to fire Magnet. The + side is always hot via the ASD relay so whatever you hook the relay to will switch via the ASD relay being energized, not the ignition switch.

The O2 downstream heater relay is hooked up on the same + wire via fuse "U" in the PDC.

It will not affect the PCM at all regardless.

Last edited by 00DakDan; 08-06-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:22 PM
magnethead
Legend

Thabks Dan. I new it would be oobvious but I've got 500,090 things going on right now.

I'm looking for a spot to tap my electric water pump drive to. Figured that would be the easiest spot since I already have it broken out to a workable wire.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:49 PM
magnethead
Legend

So when exactly is the ASD relay energized? I know the "duh" ansswer is "anytime the fuel pump is on", but is that only in run, or also acc, or ?

Old 08-10-2014, 08:41 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Just in RUN (ON) or

From the FSM:

The ASD relay will be shut–down, meaning the 12–volt power supply to the ASD relay will be de-activated by the PCM if:
*the ignition key is left in the ON position. This is if the engine has not been running for approximately 1.8 seconds.
* there is a crankshaft position sensor signal to the PCM that is lower than pre-determined values.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:51 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Just in RUN (ON) or

From the FSM:

The ASD relay will be shut–down, meaning the 12–volt power supply to the ASD relay will be de-activated by the PCM if:
*the ignition key is left in the ON position. This is if the engine has not been running for approximately 1.8 seconds.
* there is a crankshaft position sensor signal to the PCM that is lower than pre-determined values.
alright. Looks like I'm going to be having me some electrical fun. Mostly because of that first bulletpoint. I could just tap my dash switch over, but not sure I'd want the fuel pump and O2 heater on just b/c I want the fan and WP on. Guess i get to figure out where to insert a diode in my wiring system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Using Coil + side as ign hot?