2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Double Transmission Fluid Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:13 PM
carkeese
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double Transmission Fluid Leak?

Today I noticed some transmission fluid leaking from my dakota. its in the front and back. I cant tell where the front is because theres not enough room under my truck (I dont own a floor jack to get it higher). also in the back the bell housing is soaked with it and is barely dripping. could this just be a seal leak or is it something more?

Old 08-20-2014, 07:22 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by carkeese
Today I noticed some transmission fluid leaking from my dakota. its in the front and back. I cant tell where the front is because theres not enough room under my truck (I dont own a floor jack to get it higher). also in the back the bell housing is soaked with it and is barely dripping. could this just be a seal leak or is it something more?
Most likely the seal but you'll have to look to be sure. If you can't buy or borrow a jack, find a high curb and run one side of the truck up on it. That should give you enough height to get under it. Take some pics and post here. Check the fluid and add if needed. You don't want to run low. It uses ATF+4 and walmart has the supertech brand.

If it is the seal, check all the bolts to make sure none are loose and torque then slightly.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:01 PM
carkeese
Default Update

its just the rear bell housing leaking not the front anywhere. the picture is rough but you can see its soaked.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1408579007016.1.jpg (72.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-20-2014, 08:37 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to the forum Carkeese!

Just to clarify, the picture you posted is not the "bell housing." You show the differential or pumpkin. The bell housing is where the flywheel is on the engine, it's shaped like a bell when off the truck.

There is no gasket on the differential, just RTV. Over time it can start to leak. Just make sure the oil level is up to the fill plug. If it hasn't been changed in a while it's not a difficult job just messy.

There is a seal on the front where the drive shaft is. It can start to leak Can you tell if it's the front or back?

You have the 9.25" rear.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:46 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a leak in two spots on my transmission; being its big money to pull it and replace the seals; i took flex seal after cleaning the transmission and put nice thick spray along the seam where it was leaking.. and the leak has stopped for the most part.. i do have a spot i missed if the truck is itting on an incline it will leak a small little slow drip.. not as bad as it was..

Just something to think about if anyone like me needs to buy some time to get to the shop or get the money together to fix a leak on transmission*.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:48 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Welcome to the forum Carkeese!

Just to clarify, the picture you posted is not the "bell housing." You show the differential or pumpkin. The bell housing is where the flywheel is on the engine, it's shaped like a bell when off the truck.

There is no gasket on the differential, just RTV. Over time it can start to leak. Just make sure the oil level is up to the fill plug. If it hasn't been changed in a while it's not a difficult job just messy.

There is a seal on the front where the drive shaft is. It can start to leak Can you tell if it's the front or back?

You have the 9.25" rear.
Dak dan; not sure on his but i think i have the same rear end my 97' LSD I forget who but i think Oriely had a premium gasket for the rear that i had replaced mine with... just not the front.

the front is strait up RTV like you were talking about.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:58 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Jon,

You can buy a gasket for the rear but it doesn't come with one. It's just RTV from the factory. I use RTV when changing the fluid - item #6 below.

Here's the procedure from the 2000 FSM:

LUBRICANT CHANGE
(1) Raise and support the vehicle.
(2) Remove the lubricant fill hole plug from the differential housing cover.
(3) Remove the differential housing cover and drain the lubricant from the housing.
(4) Clean the housing cavity with a flushing oil, light engine oil, or lint free cloth. Do not use water, steam, kerosene, or gasoline for cleaning.
(5) Remove the original sealant from the housing and cover surfaces.
(6) Apply a bead of Mopar Silicone Rubber Sealant, or equivalent, to the housing cover.
Install the housing cover within 5 minutes after applying the sealant.
(7) Install the cover and any identification tag. Tighten the cover bolts to 41 N·m (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
(8) For Trac–lok differentials, a quantity of Mopar Trac–lok lubricant (friction modifier),or
equivalent, must be added after repair service or a lubricant change. Refer to the Lubricant Specifications section of this group for the quantity necessary.
(9) Fill differential with Mopar Hypoid Gear Lubricant, or equivalent, to bottom of the fill plug hole. Refer to the Lubricant Specifications section of this group for the quantity necessary.
CAUTION: Overfilling the differential can result in lubricant foaming and overheating.
(10) Install the fill hole plug and lower the vehicle.
(11) Trac–lok differential equipped vehicles should be road tested by making 10 to 12 slow figure eight turns. This maneuver will pump the lubricant through the clutch discs to eliminate a possible chatter noise complaint.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:59 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I see what your saying.. yeah i got one for mine.. the front though i could never find one for...

Old 01-19-2017, 04:57 PM
hambone55

Is Mopar Silicone Rubber Sealant the only product to use. I have a tube of Permatex hi temp RTV just looking for something to do. Will that work?

02 Dakota 4.7 stick Track lok diff

Old 01-19-2017, 06:31 PM
dolittle
Veteran

You probably don't need high temp but yes that will work.

Quick Reply: Double Transmission Fluid Leak?