2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Video: Changing Transmission Lubricant

Old 08-30-2014, 01:53 AM
cber
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Video: Changing Transmission Lubricant

So after learning an expensive lesson (ended up buying 2 or 3 fluid changes for my transmission), I've recorded a YouTube video on how to flush the transmission lubricant in a manual transmission, and thought I'd share.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:33 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

This is for an AX-15 correct is that what you have?

Their is a better way to get the oil in an oil syringe sure it cost a bit of money but makes it easy to fill the trans.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:41 AM
cber
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
This is for an AX-15 correct is that what you have?

Their is a better way to get the oil in an oil syringe sure it cost a bit of money but makes it easy to fill the trans.

Image snipped
Yeah I bought that little hand pump thingy literally 5 minutes before recording the video, and it was a pain to use because little did I know before-hand there was no valves in the pump to make one side pull and one side send, it was basically just that little ball with a hose on either end, so I ended up squeezing it, then capping my thumb over one end to make it draw some fluid, and it just ended up being a huge pain in the butt.

Next time I'll probably just get one of those little syringes.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:03 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Angry

On an AX-15 Before you drain any oil I would check your fill plug first they tend to be super hard to remove very thin plug so getting a socket or anything on that thin fill plug is a Pain in the @ss.

That's why you resort to taking off the shifter to fill the trans up because getting the fill plug off may not work then you are stuck with an empty transmission no oil.

The problem I finally figure out is they used a soft aluminum washer on the fill plug and aluminum is notoriously sticky find a replacement washer that's steel or brass or no washer at all then next time it will come off easy.

I looked everywhere online for a bigger head fill plug and you cant fined any they all have very thin heads.

Every wrench, socket or tool tends to slip off that F-ing plug like butter and the head gets mangled up bad.

I now have a nice new plug that I only lightly tightened up as its thin like the OEM plug what a PAIN.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Video: Changing Transmission Lubricant