2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

need more horse power

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 06:03 PM
TheNewbie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Gear swap will help but imo the money you spend on that gains you very little for a dd. Id rather take that money and put it into the engine and trans.
A gear swap doesn't have to cost $1000.

That's why I asked what gears he's running now and if he's 4x4 or not.

He might be able to get a junkyard axle with the 3.92's for a few hundred bucks and then sell his current axle for a few hundred bucks and do a "free" gear swap if you don't count his time. No need to tear into the rear end that way.

There's a pretty good seat of the pants difference between a set of 3.55's and 3.92's. Maybe not much actual 1/4 mile difference, but for around town I can notice a good difference driving a Dak with the same motor and tranny but different gears.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:25 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 best options to help out with power with what you have now is gonna be a throttle body and programmer. I had a SCT tuned by hemifeaver on my 5.2 and it was awesome! Def noticeable gains. Even going from 4,800 wot shift to 5,200 was a big improvement. Gear swap will help but imo the money you spend on that gains you very little for a dd. Id rather take that money and put it into the engine and trans.
Getting a bigger throttle body isn't going to allow for much improvement if you don't get a better exhaust system. You can only pull in as much air as you're pushing out.

I've currently got a custom 93 octane tune from Hemifever for my 5.7 with 3.92s and holy cow did it make an improvement! If you have 3.55s, you're not going to feel a whole lot of improvement, but there will still be an improvement.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:39 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
Getting a bigger throttle body isn't going to allow for much improvement if you don't get a better exhaust system. You can only pull in as much air as you're pushing out.

I've currently got a custom 93 octane tune from Hemifever for my 5.7 with 3.92s and holy cow did it make an improvement! If you have 3.55s, you're not going to feel a whole lot of improvement, but there will still be an improvement.
He said he was getting headers so I would assume he would be doing a whole exhaust. Hey you never know tho

Old 09-09-2014, 09:03 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He said he was getting headers so I would assume he would be doing a whole exhaust. Hey you never know tho
I've learned to not assume anything. Ever.

Quick Reply: need more horse power