2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

opionons wanted on suspension and headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 08:27 PM
bmsma
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opionons wanted on suspension and headers

howdy all:

truck is a 98 CC 4x2 5.2

long term old man project truck.

just picked her up, body is straight, starting on getting everything mechanical back on par.

within 12-24 months im looking at a belltech 2/4 drop which will require new shocks.

but im gonna need some sooner, knowing bilstiens are better shocks than anything im leaning towards monroe sensa-tracs for now, simply because of price.

anyone running monroe sensa tracs ?? and thoughts about them, again these will be a short term shock.

next, anyone running spintech mid-lenght headers and belltech 2/4 ?? and any fitment or clearance issues.

or even gibson shorties with a 2/4 drop ?? knowing header wont gain much on a fairly stock engine other than sound and engine bay cleanup

thanks all

Troy

Old 09-30-2014, 10:04 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I've got Monroe SensaTracs on my 1988 LWB, and while they beat the old Not-a-Shocks I had, they're ... less than optimum on North Louisiana / South Arkansas streets.

As in I've hit my head on the headliner and done a "Salad Toss" in the bed before going under the 35MPH speed limit on some roads that the Cougar (our other car, a 1991 Cougar with KYB GR-2s all around on the high-rate Sport / SC springs) take with total aplomb.

YMMV, however.

RwP

Old 10-01-2014, 12:52 AM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran Sensa-tracs on mine for a while and I didn't like them at all. I thought the damping felt all wrong, but i couldn't really put my finger on exactly what was wrong with it.

I currently have Edelbrock headers that made a very noticeable difference. I don't know if they increased peak HP by much, but they improved throttle response and let the engine rev much quicker.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:48 AM
bmsma
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks all, after what you all said and some more reading i think ill bite the bullet and go with the bilstiens knowing they might not be used more than a year or two,

tom on your eldebrocks, looks like your running a 4x4 correct,

im trying to see if anyone has had clearance issues with mid lenghts or even shorties in a lowered application but glad to hear they make a differance, not sure to what extent im going to do exhaust yet,

just trying to keep from doing something that im just gonna have to redo for the finished picture

Troy

Quick Reply: opionons wanted on suspension and headers