2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Brake Line Fitting.. again

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 09:07 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Line Fitting.. again

Had another brake line burst on the Dakota this weekend and I need it for Christmas.

I haven't had time to crawl under and look but I know its the line that runs along the frame beneath the driver side door as thats where it blew and to the rear of the truck.

After that.. I'm not quite sure.

I plan on just buying a bulk roll of brake line and flaring the ends myself and im going to TRY and salvage the existing fittings but i really have no idea what size they are.

As some of you may remember I had a nightmare of a time finding a replacement fitting that goes into the junction block on top of the frame right below the brake booster... Its some kind if stupid Mopar fitting... Had to reuse it.

If anyone has any idea what size the other fittings are please let me know.. I know the brake line itself is 3/16. I would rather not have to rent a truck for Christmas!!

Thanks again.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:23 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Part number for the line is 52009886AH.

Called 2 dealers and just like the first time they "cannot" tell me what size the fittings are. Why the hell not!?

Old 12-22-2014, 10:35 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by sxrsil3nt
Part number for the line is 52009886AH.

Called 2 dealers and just like the first time they "cannot" tell me what size the fittings are. Why the hell not!?
and this is why i will likely end up re-plumbing my entire truck in 3/8 english flare and AN-SS brake lines with new lines and fittings front to back.

Also, that's a common line to burst since it gets hit by road salt.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:11 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

From what I can tell this is the line I need

As it resembles closely to where the leak is but I don't understand the fitting it shows here... It shows it going into the frame??

Old 12-22-2014, 02:12 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs down

Yea a lot of these Pic's are very confusing and sometimes show the wrong thing or part.

My 2.5 engine parts diagrams are crap its never correct in fact almost everything diagramed for my Dakota is wrong they show a different air hat and air box with every fitting as different.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 12-22-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:13 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

it is one piece from front to back. Starts at that goofy freakin 90 inside the LF wheelwell, and runs all the way back to the axle, where it bulkheads to a flexline.

The photo you posted is looking at if from the passenger side. The right side is the front, the left side is the back.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:52 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

I can understand if the front joins into that distribution block but where does it meet the flex line for the rear? On top of the differential?

And is it a simple fitting as well?

I bought brake line in a bulk real today... 25' of 3/16" steel line. I'm going to try and salvage the existing fitting.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:20 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Okay well I actually had time to crawl under the truck on my icy driveway with a flashlight... It is just that one damn section where the rust proofing didn't hit... Maybe 12 " total in length.

I noticed that it is indeed 1 whole line going from the little distribution block on top of the frame by the driver side front wheel... back to behind the gas tank where it turns into a small hose leading to the flex hoses along the differential.

Now...

Because its just one section, I'm thinking compression fitting...

I was actually thinking of trading this beast up on the new Ecodiesel.

The fitting on the distribution block looks salvageable, but where it joins to the flex hoses is beyong saving, which is why I am even more afraid to replace the whole line.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:43 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cut your ends off and go to napa they will be able to get you an adapter for your new line to your block. I had to do it with my 98. Ran my like 8.00 a piece for new adapters but I didnt have to worry about saving the old fittings.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:02 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Thanks Dodge,

But if you cut off your fitting and took it to Napa why would they give you an adapter? Or did the line you used come pre-flared and fitted?

My issue is that the last time I ran into this issue I couldn't get a replacement fitting since no place carried the right size. The fitting going into the distribution block is a weird size... Likely metric.

I will admit that I didn't try Napa as the nearest one is over an hour away but I'll have to try there.

I suppose I'll attempt salvaging the fittings but I may end up having to fab up something custom.

Quick Reply: Brake Line Fitting.. again