2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front diff overflow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 01:26 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Front diff overflow?

Hey guys; today i went out and noticed wet damp area at first i thought was brake fluid leaking from the hardline/rubber line juncture.. after looking more it seems the fluid came from the overflow/vent thing that runs up from the front diff.

I need to know what that means ? I drove it last night / yesterday... not really noticing anything 'abnormal'.. not sure fluid levels yet.. i got family coming for dinner tonight so no time ot check it.. last time i did was about 2-3 years ago which i had topped it off with some valvoline fluid which i thought had the friction modifier in it ; but not really sure as the big jug doesnt say nothing about it but the smaller one did which i had used in the rear.. could the lack of that cause it to boil or something and overflow? Thats all i can think of is it got too hot and overflowed from boiling?

need to know what it means and what i need to do about it..

IMG_00000098_zpsc02262ed.jpg

IMG_00000096_zps4933a957.jpg

IMG_00000092_zps7d406d0b.jpg

IMG_00000103_zps9a4c6ebd.jpg

Old 12-26-2014, 01:53 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't know that looks too thin to be Diff oil?

Check all your fluid levels that's a start who knows maybe you just drove through something.

I just cant see it doing that

Your oil filter looks very grungy is it lose I think it may be engine oil

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 12-26-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:11 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Well i sorta thought that too but the smell of it def. smells like diff fluid.. not break fluid. or water.

I was hoping it was just water or something but it's not.. its not washing away either and def. looks like its coming from the vent... I do need an oil change but what your seeing is just muck from when i drove it through a few back roads.. have not yet cleaned everything off properly yet.. its been raining and muddy around a few places I've had to go recently.

My dad said it sounds like the vent is clogged and pressure caused it to spout out.. makes seance i guess if its not getting any ventilation and that seems to be consensious around Google search..

The truck is at a family friends house now getting new engine mounts and the plenum fixed so i can put a new cat and clear this cel for low catalyst efficiency

when i get the truck back I think I'll be opening the front pumpkin draining inspecting and put fresh in.. i've always had a small leak up there never fixed it so good time as any..

I also think when i ran the truck through some deep water that vent is really too low on the frame and might have sucked water in.. i think ill extend the hose a bit up on the firewall or something that i can.

If anyone has anything to add please let me know in case im missing something.

Last edited by jondakotaguy; 12-28-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:09 PM
HillBillE
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the vent is plugged, it will usually blow oil past a seal.

But, if you got water into the diff, it will essentially be 'overfull', and will spit out the breather tube.

Did you happen to notice if it was the color of chocolate milk?

If it is, then it's contaminated with water.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:37 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

I don't have 4WD, but you should be able to pull a rubber fill/check plug on the pumpkin and see where the fluid stands (if it's similar to the rear). Maybe use something to suck some of it out and see its condition. Also check that brake line near the 1:00 postion in your first pic. Looks like there is some buildup that may be eating away at it..

Old 01-01-2015, 10:39 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

What do you mean build up eating away at it? The rust? or the clump of mud? lol

Old 01-04-2015, 01:03 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

?? >> ??

Old 01-04-2015, 08:07 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My dakota did it once a year. Usually just the right mix of heat would cause it. Always checked my fluid and it never really changed. Had my ram for 2 weeks and it did the same exact thing. Cleaned my vent and it wasnt clogged at all. Keep an eye on your fluid and see what happens.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:18 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Sounds like as long as the fluid is not contaminated and vent clogged.. then maybee I not worry about it so much unless its constantly doing it..

I'm still going to repalce the vent.. (already got one from dealer for a whole 5 bucks.. ) and i will be pulling the pumkin off to redo the seal might as well check the hose and make sure its clear through the diff.. and do a full service on it..

I'm also going to relocate the hose a bit longer to avoid any water getting in there as i do high water stuff so might as well do that too.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:44 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

My guess is condensation gets into the pumpkin this causes the oil to foam up thus pumping out the breather after the water is boiled out everything is ok.

A small amount of oil is lost but no big problem

Sounds good to me

Quick Reply: Front diff overflow?