2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

P/s messed up after playing in the snow

Old 02-26-2015, 12:26 PM
Moparkid13
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P/s messed up after playing in the snow

03 dakota qc awd 4.7 auto. Last night it came a snow storm here in nc so of course I had to go play. the truck did excellent in 8+ inches of snow however I was cutting donuts in a big empty lot and I heard a clicking noise from the front end. So I quit donuts and there was no power steering. Ever since my p/s is intermittent. Also check engine light is on saying bank 1 sensor 2 o2 sensor. Also at 1 point I did drive through a shallow wide stream so stuff could have gotten wet but the p/s pulley is dry..

Old 02-26-2015, 12:40 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

You might have overheated, boiled, the p/s fluid and now have air in the system. Check the fluid level to make sure it is full. Then, jack the front of the truck and with the truck NOT running, turn the wheel lock to lock 20-40 times. If there is any air this will work it out. Again, you do not want the truck running for this. Make sure the reservoir stays full.

Then lower the truck, start it and let it idle for 2 minutes. Make sure it stays full again. Then check for proper operation.

Bank 1 sensor 2 is the drivers side downstream. Check for oil in the connector. It can come from a bad power steering pressure switch.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:25 PM
Moparkid13
Rookie

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
You might have overheated, boiled, the p/s fluid and now have air in the system. Check the fluid level to make sure it is full. Then, jack the front of the truck and with the truck NOT running, turn the wheel lock to lock 20-40 times. If there is any air this will work it out. Again, you do not want the truck running for this. Make sure the reservoir stays full.

Then lower the truck, start it and let it idle for 2 minutes. Make sure it stays full again. Then check for proper operation.

Bank 1 sensor 2 is the drivers side downstream. Check for oil in the connector. It can come from a bad power steering pressure switch.
Ok thank you very much I'll try and do that after work.. Any idea what the clicking noise was. I was afraid it was the transfer case or axles since it's an awd but front wheels still have power to them

Old 02-26-2015, 02:56 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

It might be a cv joint. Is it worse turning in a particular direction?

Old 02-26-2015, 06:16 PM
Moparkid13
Rookie

Not that I've noticed and I haven't heard it since

Old 02-26-2015, 07:50 PM
Moparkid13
Rookie

Just talked to someone who seems to think it's the rack and pinion. The pump usually hums when it's bad right? There's no noise coming from mine

Old 02-26-2015, 08:55 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Are you referring to the loss of the power steering or the click?

It's worth trying to "bleed" the system as I posted earlier. If that doesn't work then yes, you probably fried the rack.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:35 PM
Moparkid13
Rookie

I can't find it on here what kind of fluid did they use in 03?

Old 02-28-2015, 04:28 PM
Moparkid13
Rookie

ok so i did exactly what you asked to bleed the pump and nothing changed.. It seems to be very intermediate. when I start it up ps works fine then a few minutes later theres none. most of the time while im driving it seems to be fine also. then when i stop there's none what so ever. It doesn't favor one direction or the other and theres no slop at all in the steering therefore I don't think it is the rack.

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Did you mean that the ps switch will throw an o2 code? Will a bad switch cause these issues?

I cant afford to start throwing parts at it therefore Any and all input is very appreciated..

Old 02-28-2015, 06:33 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like a slipping belt to me especially the on off working thing

Old belt or weak belt tensioner

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P/s messed up after playing in the snow