2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Any tips on Dash removal????

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 07:19 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by WrenchMasters
Removing your dash is very easy. It looks hard but it's not I have done lots of them fix the hvac system. You have
a broken blend door or jammed. This is a common problem for
Dodge. All I can say take your time lots of pics if your not sure
your dash needs to be removed to fix your problem.
"Very easy", is changing brake pads, LOL. Anything that tedious and time consuming is not what I'd consider very easy. I won't be pulling mine unless the problem gets worse, because I'm still getting very hot heat and decent AC, even with the low air flow. It's gotta be a better reason for me to take the plunge.

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
I'm so glad that's over with
I bet you are. That system was a mess...

Good work, 98Dak. Saving this thread for future grief (yes, I know the 03' is different). How is she heating and cooling now?

Last edited by Dodgevity; 03-02-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:55 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Heat is now like an inferno and comes on fast A/C is still not finished need a custom hose made.

The new blower has more power/flow I was hoping that would happen my flow was never that great these last few years.

All in all the getting the box back in was the part that sucked the rest was just a lot of panels screws and bolts removal.

I did it by myself solo that made it much harder I recommend two set of hands I used ropes to hold up the dash that helped a lot getting it back in.

I didn't take a lot of Pic's but I will try to post all 38 Pic's from the other forum soon

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 03-02-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:03 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

The new blower has more power/flow I was hoping that would happen my flow was never that great these last few years.
I've thought about changing my blower too. Which blower did you get? Did you go aftermarket?

Old 03-02-2015, 09:10 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Rockauto VDO brand no wheel attached all correct wiring.

I had a spare wheel so it worked for me

Yours will be different being a 03 Dak

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 03-02-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:36 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Old 03-03-2015, 09:32 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Good stuff. I've been sitting on this low airflow issue for a while, but you've inspired me to do something about it.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...rom-vents.html

Really a non issue in the winter, since the heat is like an inferno, but for summer, I'd really like a higher flow rate coming from these big *** vents. The AC works good overall tho.

I'm gonna replace the blower and resister. I'll just swap over the wheel from my current blower. How loud is the VDO blower? I've heard that the aftermarkets are louder. Did you notice a difference?

Old 03-03-2015, 10:38 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion

No but the noise comes from the blower wheel not the blower motor usually.

Looking at your Pic's your system is way different I say remove the blower and look inside you may find the problem as the newer models like yours that I know of you can replace the blower without removing the dash.

Also I think you can run a diagnostic on the vent system to get the vents properly aligned.... How ask 00DakDan I think he knows maybe that's all you need.

The newer HVAC systems like yours run off electric servos not vacuum

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 03-03-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:08 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Noise coming from the wheel makes sense.

Indeed, I can remove blower motor without messing with the dash. Those pics in my thread were taken by removing the blower and snapping pics looking up into the hole. There was a common issue with the recirc door being broken but mine works fine.

I had researched... and the DRB III scan tool is required for HVAC reset

Last edited by Dodgevity; 03-03-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:02 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

I suspect the shop that trashed my HVAC system either accidently destroyed my Box or it just somehow got destroyed I don't know but that box I pulled out I think was a Junker they replaced it with it was just too trashed.

The story about my A/C and the shop that trashed it and never even fixed it after 5 try's is a nightmare you wouldn't believe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Box looks great foam still clean fresh on the door I suspect you have a servo problem or your blower is weak.

If you have the $$ go to a dealer and get it reset and get their opinion.

I don't think pulling your box is the answer it looks very clean

Sorry I didn't read the thread you listed regarding your problem.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:23 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

I suspect the shop that trashed my HVAC system either accidently destroyed my Box or it just somehow got destroyed I don't know but that box I pulled out I think was a Junker they replaced it with it was just too trashed.

The story about my A/C and the shop that trashed it and never even fixed it after 5 try's is a nightmare you wouldn't believe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Box looks great foam still clean fresh on the door I suspect you have a servo problem or your blower is weak.

If you have the $$ go to a dealer and get it reset and get their opinion.

I don't think pulling your box is the answer it looks very clean

Sorry I didn't read the thread you listed regarding your problem.
Sorry you went through that, bro. Yeah, that box of yours looked well molested and pieced together. I hope you never visit that shop again. For all you know, they may have sold your box and gave you a POS. You are like me, the DIY type, but with the work involved though, I completely understand why you wanted to give it to a shop in the first place.

Where did you get your replacement box? I can't imagine going to a junkyard and pulling a dash just to buy the HVAC box, so I imagine you bought it already pulled.

----------------------------------
Yeah...I'm hoping it's just the blower. Thing is, it sounds very strong on high, like its blowing its heart out and should be pinning my ears back. Just that the air coming out does not match the whooshing sound. Its actual air output at high fan, is about what you'd normally get at medium. Know what I mean?

Last edited by Dodgevity; 03-03-2015 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Any tips on Dash removal????