2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

3.9L Magnum Rebuild, Swap anf other info

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 09:15 AM
DudeJayStarr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.9L Magnum Rebuild, Swap anf other info

So I recently purchased a 1998 Dodge Dakota Sport with the 3.9L Magnum v6 /5 speed. Long story short I got shafted.

It started knocking and it definitely is a rod. Drove it about a mile or so and parked it. I am trying to find the fastest, easiest and best way to get this back in running condition without spending too much. I have 2 other rebuilds going on ATM.

I was going to try to take the cross support out and drop the oil pan and attempt to swap the bearings out to make it last temporary until I can fully rebuild. But I couldn't find bearings or any other part info on this engine. Is there a generic engine that this is called? (i.e. the 318 is the v8 I believe)

I did see however in the forums the cross reference and found my Tranny code (42RE Torqueflite) However, I wasn't able to find out what block would bolt right up to the tranny and run properly.

I am hoping someone will be able to clarify some of the issues.

Thank you in advance.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:04 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

It's a 3.9.

Rockauto has bearings for you. I can't post a link due to the way their site works.

A 3.9,5.2,5.9 will bolt up to the 42RE. It's only usually found with the 3.9 however. The 44RE is used on the 5.2 and the 46RE on the 5.9. A 42RE won't last with the 5.9.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:45 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
It's a 3.9.

Rockauto has bearings for you. I can't post a link due to the way their site works.
I dunno, I click on the picture of the 3.5" floppy disk, right-click on the link that it kicks out, and paste it here:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=5212

That's the connecting rod bearing listing, it lists several brands.

RwP

Old 03-06-2015, 10:52 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm no pro at the 3.9 but if its knocking then the rod is toast I would say doesn't take much. Replacing the bearing I don't think will give you much it will just chew up the new bearing ASAP.

But others will know more than I

But you may be able to pop the head pull out the rod and piston and replace it if your crank is good.

This may give you back a decent 3.9

I'm way out of knowing these things anymore so I may be wrong.

You may be out of luck as you now have metal shards in your oil passages

Good luck

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 03-06-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:26 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by DudeJayStarr
So I recently purchased a 1998 Dodge Dakota Sport with the 3.9L Magnum v6 /5 speed. Long story short I got shafted.

It started knocking and it definitely is a rod.

Nothing was revealed on the test drive? I've seen people put in super thick oil to mask noises till it sells.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:17 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Not sure were you got it but used car dealers have a thousand ways to mask or cheaply temp fix problems long enough to sell any auto.

Used car dealers are the scum of the universe

Old 03-08-2015, 05:47 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Not sure were you got it but used car dealers have a thousand ways to mask or cheaply temp fix problems long enough to sell any auto.

Used car dealers are the scum of the universe
I dunno, you know the main difference between a used car dealer and a computer salesperson? The used car dealer knows when s/he is lying.

RwP

Old 03-08-2015, 06:18 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

I know what you mean I had a good friend that got into computer sales to restaurants as time went by I noticed he got more unreliable and shady.

They almost always sell 3 or 5 year old systems by that I mean how old the technology is not its age and they always sell a low quality system to you first then up sale you to something just a little bit better.

Most of the problem is company's don't understand what's a good fast system or slow garbage.

A decent computer system should be fast never slow now a very good computer should be almost instantaneous at everything.

They always install so little memory in those systems as to make them dogs at everything they do.

Always demand as much Ram/memory as you can get its so worth it.

They will scam you on the price of Ram usually they sell it at outrageously marked up prices like 10X what it cost if you installed your own memory by your iT department if you have an iT department that is.

I build my own custom computers so I understand this stuff

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 03-08-2015 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 3.9L Magnum Rebuild, Swap anf other info