2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Reset PCM

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 06:22 PM
smusaf60
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Reset PCM

DAMN!!! I bought a 97 Dakota SLT 4X4. The driver side door that was on it was not original. It was a manual door. I got a power door off a 98 Dakota. After I installed it, the security light on the instrument cluster flashes, the truck will start but shut down after a couple seconds. I know the PCM needs to be reset. I've tried these steps that I got form this forum:
Buckle the driver side seat belt
Pull the PCM fuse #23 (mine is #17, JTEC/Fuel Pump)
Turn the key to the on position
Wait for the 3 chimes then turn to off
Put the fuse back in and it is now reset.
It did not work. I'm at my wits end. I don't have the funds to tow it to and pay a dealer to reset it. Can anyone give me an alternate method to reset the PCM??? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:40 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

A couple of issues here.

1. It does sound like the security feature is enabled.
2. Swapping doors should not have enabled it.
3. You can't "reset" security in the PCM. It's designed not to be bypassed. You'll need to replace the PCM.
4. The CTM is what "trips" the PCM to enable the security feature - after 20 starts. What "tripped" it?
5. Disarming security can be done from either door lock using the key (passive) or the key fob (active).

From the FSM:

When the armed Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS) senses that the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, it enters its power-up mode. In the power-up mode the alarm system remains armed following a battery failure or disconnect. If the VTSS was armed prior to a battery disconnect or failure, the system will have to be actively or passively disarmed after the battery is reconnected.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:24 PM
smusaf60
Default Aaarrrgh!!

Thanks for replying 00DakDan. As for what tripped it, I haven't a clue. While I was changing the door, my wife was detailing the interior and accidently hit the lock/unlock switch on the passenger door. That's when the problem started, it ran prior to that. I disconnected the battery after that. When I finished with the door, I still had the same problem. I tried the procedure of locking the doors and using the key to unlock, no luck. I don't have a FOB. One person advised to disconnect the NEG battery cable, turn the key like I'm starting the truck for 30 seconds, reconnect the battery. He said that should reset it. My wife's in the doghouse for talking me into buying this truck.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:35 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Flipping the lock shouldn't have done anything. If it did, it would be the CTM - that's what controls the doors AND trips the security feature in the PCM.

Maybe that was it. It seems more than coincidental.

Do you have security on the truck? Get a build sheet and verify. Follow this link: http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.html

Go to equipment listing and then enter your VIN.

Regardless, you can't "reset" security.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:35 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

If possible, try leaving the battery disconnected, both positive and negative, overnight.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:17 PM
smusaf60
Default Security

I followed your link, entered the VIN. Under "optional equipment" it lists security group and security alarm.
If you're thinking PCM or CTM, do I need to get one or the other new? Can I get them from the junkyard? Will they need to be programmed before or after installation?
Please excuse my ignorance, electronics is not my forte.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:16 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

So you apparently do have security.

Do you have the key fob?

Have you tried using the passenger side door lock to reset the system?

Maybe even deliberately set the alarm off. Lock the doors and then open it by reaching through the window to use the inside handle. Then shut if off with the key to see if that "resets" the system.

I'm going to suggest you do not start replacing the PCM or CTM. First off, they need to match the options on your vehicle, you can't program them but a dealer can (some features). Secondly, I think you'll just be throwing money at the problem. Really, a DRB (dealer tool) could have the problem identified easily. It can read all the modules and find out what trips the security.

I know it costs money to get it diagnosed but it can be a lot cheaper in the long run than throwing parts at a problem that you're not sure about.

Quick Reply: Reset PCM