2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

01 4.7 Dakota Wiring Catastrophe

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:44 PM
jassgraphix.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 01 4.7 Dakota Wiring Catastrophe

Never ever hook up your boat trailer or any trailer pigtail without a proper fuse inline. I decided to be that brilliant and do such and now I am paying the price. Truck has been out of commission for almost a year. What ever box is mounted under the dash with about 2 dozen wires coming in completely melted after the pigtail wires pinched under the trailer ball. Einstein! I went to the junkyard and found a used box and spliced it in. Everything seems to work properly all except the brake lights. I have changed the brake light switch, bulbs, twice. I have no clue what to do next. Should I look at the multifunction blinker switch? Is the box out of the junkyard bad? I have read on the net maybe the ABS sensor is bad? I am just clueless at this point on what to do or how to finish troubleshooting. I almost want to just install a universal brakelight switch and bypass all existing wires. If I had a clue on how to do that I would. Anybody that can help me troubleshoot this and get my truck fixed I will gladly mail you something off my site in exchange for your help.
#dakatohopeless
2001 Quad Cab 4.7

Old 03-26-2015, 11:14 PM
archemedes74
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you checked the wiring going from the pigtail to the tail lights?

Old 03-27-2015, 06:13 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The combination flasher works the stop/turn lights. The brake switch just provides an input to the combination flasher.

Is the CHMSL (3rd) brake light working? That is run directly off of the brake switch.

Quick Reply: 01 4.7 Dakota Wiring Catastrophe