2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Wiring harness question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:59 PM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wiring harness question?

Hello all,

After two bad computers giving me false codes I finally got a used one that actually works. No codes as of yet and everything working except for an intermittent issue that I'm having and by simply restarting the truck, it goes away or, I can just wait a 15 seconds or so and it will clear up and run fine. What I would like to know if anyone has any knowledge of a factory soldered joint in the wiring harness near the battery. This is a 98 Dakota SLT 3.9L. I've read somewhere this was an issue with the 3.9l but it wasn't very descriptive where it might be located other then near the battery.

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2015, 10:00 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

need better discription of your issues. these trucks have a ver simple wiring system that runs motor and trans, the mojor wiring issues were ground related and pcm getting water logged

Old 04-19-2015, 09:42 AM
Robertwav1
Professional
Default More information...

Okay...I'll try my best. Everything's been done or addressed on this truck. Replaced all sensors, tune up, intake plenum gasket, fuel pump assembly. Originally the truck was dying or just stalling and you had to wait to restart it. Well, with all that's been done it doesn't do that anymore but it runs funny on a restart only when it's hot. It clears up in about 30 seconds and runs fine. Never does it from a cold start. When the truck acts this way a simple shut it off and restart it....it's fine. Almost like a vapor lock but it's not from what I can tell. I'm thinking wiring but it's so predictable it may not be. I am at a loss at what to check for next. I did not do a compression test as of yet, truck has plenty of power, not losing any water. It almost as if the computer is getting confused and needs a little time to adjust. No codes. I'm thinking temperature related but it acted this way before replacement of IATS and CTS and again all sensors replaced as they were at then end of their lifespan anyway. What I was thinking of next is to plug in the old CTS and leave it outside the water jacket just to see if makes any difference at all. I understand the computer will use it's other inputs to try and adjust. It just bothers me as this should be explainable, something's not just right. Suggestions are appreciated.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:59 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like a cheap or bad TPS sensor even if new this can happen with the cheap sensors.

I will elaborate more my Dak would run kind of like that but then be fine on and off sometime it would run great for months then start acting up again it seamed to act up every season change then take a month to adjust then be ok replaced with a higher quality TPS and no more strangeness.

It was only 2 years old by the way

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 04-19-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:58 AM
Robertwav1
Professional

Okay, I'll buy that. I need to mention that when this problem arose, I replaced the sensor but it made no difference, the truck acted the same way. A high quality sensor is reasonable but not sure what you mean by high quality....could you elaborate a little. I went this far and don't mind going the extra mile to straighten this out or spending a few dollars more for something more substantial. I usually use rock auto and haven't had but maybe one issue all these years. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2015, 12:11 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Ok name of company AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 5S5101 the more expensive model if thats what you have then you may have another problem

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 04-19-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:18 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll add that the "splice issue" was a primarily a first generation Dakota issue, the early 90's.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:49 PM
Robertwav1
Professional

Well, may have found the issue. I replaced the computer because of stalling. Before this I had replaced the upstream 02 sensor thinking this as suspect before the PCM. I guess the new sensor sucked cause I put the old one back in and it don't do it anymore. Just decided to go over everything again and stumbled across it. It was a temp related problem, the 02 I guess was just lazy and not sending a signal fast enough. No codes to work with so it really makes it hard. Graphs showed normal on the 02 except for when running crummy for 15 seconds or so but then again all the graphs looked weird when it was doing it's thing. No more hot restart problems...hope it helps someone.

Quick Reply: Wiring harness question?