2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2004 Dakota parking brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 03:35 PM
Dr. Marneaus
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 Dakota parking brake issues

Hi folks!

My main question is whether anybody can direct me to a parking brake diagram for a 2004 dakota, Manual (hence the necessity for the parking brake) 4x4 with rear disc brakes (not sure if thats all of them or an option or what).

I'd like to have something to reference before I tear into them.

Back story:

when I got the truck a few months ago the parking brake worked but would not spring all the way back up. It would release the tension, but the pedal would be low enough for the light to remain on even though it was not causing any drag.

No biggie, it held the truck just fine.

This past weekend while on a 500 mile drive to las vgeas, i pulled over to use the restroom at a campground, i popped off the brake, or at least I think I did, and drove maybe 100 yards at about 10 or less miles per hour and BAM! Rear passenger wheel locked up solid. I came to a stop, backed it up a few feet, hear a little something release, then started driving forward. It felt stiff, but it didnt lock the wheel up like before.

I drove a few miles to a proper parking lot and got out to check it. the rear caliper was warm/hot (not like outrageously hot) and i could rock the truck back and forth by hand. it seemed like the parking brake was dragging a bit and when i backed up a few feet it would release, then drag again when moving forward. when rocking it by hand i could hear the pads or shoes dragging slightly.

I had no choice but to press on. Maybe 15-20 miles down the highway i heard a bang and it felt like i ran over something small (like a rock or small piece of debris in the road) and that was that. Almost sounded like something bounced up under the wheel well. About 70 miles later i was at a gas station and there was no audible drag and the rear caliper was cool to the touch.

The next day i hit the parking brake, hopped out, and the truck started rolling away. Thats where we are now. I've had to rely on leaving it in gear when i park it.

Suggestions? It seems like there is potentially slack in the cable, but perhaps also that i popped or broke something? Maybe a line broke? where should I look first? I'm not familiar with parking brakes on disc brakes, but if im not mistaken there are basically some small shoes that use the inside of the brake rotor as a drum, correct?

Again, main thing i'm looking for is a diagram to help be grasp what i'm about to dive into.

thanks for any help.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:20 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Someone just replaced those a month or two back look for the post they were easy but the manual says you need to remove the rear axel to do it. But he found out you can do them its just a little cramped is all and they were easy to do.

He had a few Pic's

I would say you lost the shoe or shoes and they got crushed up in the process

Old 05-21-2015, 06:48 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Old 05-21-2015, 07:25 PM
Dr. Marneaus
Rookie

Awesome thank you. That is super helpful

Old 05-22-2015, 09:34 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ

Yep, that was me. As 98DAKAZ said, the shoe linings probably fell off and are being crunched around in there. The OEM has crappy glue which fails over the years. Hopefully they didn't do any damage.

This is where I got the shoes.... you won't find them any cheaper. $16 is a steal. http://www.partstrain.com/store/?N=0...tt=CE111.08030&=

Take pics of everything before you start.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 05-22-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:51 PM
Dr. Marneaus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Yep, that was me. As 98DAKAZ said, the shoe linings probably fell off and are being crunched around in there. The OEM has crappy glue which fails over the years. Hopefully they didn't do any damage.

This is where I got the shoes.... you won't find them any cheaper. $16 is a steal. http://www.partstrain.com/store/?N=0...tt=CE111.08030&=

Take pics of everything before you start.
Awesome thanks! I'm familiar with the inner workings of drum brakes. So familiar in fact, that I had to get 16 stitches as a result of BECOMING familiar with them. I'll definitely take pics and from your pics they certainly look a bit more simple than standard full on drum brakes.

$19.93 with free shipping with amazon prime. Ordered, they'll be here shortly!

Old 05-22-2015, 05:36 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

They are dead simple. You won't have a problem. Once you do them, you'll wonder why in the hell the dealer would suggest axle removal.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:40 PM
Dr. Marneaus
Rookie

You were right on. Same exact issue.

Friction material fell off on one side. The other side it was about to fall off after i wrestled the drum off.
64754C29-89CF-41D4-B93F-43AEEA7CAE1C.jpg
79E40C8D-D290-4C62-BEBC-E2689117FCCC.jpg
DB9385D4-D599-463B-92B5-D57371A36538.jpg

I hate brakes. and i REALLLLLY hate rusty brakes.

also the tensioner needed a bit of adjustment. It was seized solid from the NH rust, so i had to soak it in blaster hit it with a wire wheel on the dremel then slowly work it by hand to get it freed up.

I replaced all the shoes, and notiched my hardware was shot, the adjusters were seized too. Had to run across the city to the ONLY autozone with ONE hardware set in stock. Replaced it, then fixed the tensioner, then adjusted each wheel until there was noticable resistance, then backed each adjuster off a few notches. Seems like everything is good now.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:45 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Looks like you could use some new rotors also

I don't know how you put up with the RUST problems

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 06-07-2015 at 02:48 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:57 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Looks like you could use some new rotors also

I don't know how you put up with the RUST problems
rotors look good by texas standards...

Quick Reply: 2004 Dakota parking brake issues