2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

no brake lights or reverse lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 11:58 PM
lawk_deask@hotmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no brake lights or reverse lights

I have an 01 Dakota, the tail lights and turn signals work but there is no brake lights when I press on the brake pedal. The reverse lights went out first than my brake lights. I've noticed a few wires are exposed but they are on a connector for a canopy which I don't have any more. Other than that, fuses and wires look fine, replaced the bulbs but still no reverse or brake lights.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:23 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

That will be two separate items, although both can be caused by the same item.

First off, I'd work on those exposed wires in case there's a break in one of them.

Now - turn signals on the '02 Dakota (and I would presume the '01) are shared with the brake lights, so if the turn signals work on the back, wiring from the multi function switch back to the lamps work.

Do you have the high mount brake light (cab or tailgate), and if so, does IT work? If it does, then the brake light switch is most likely OK, and it's time to check the wiring around the multi function switch (in this case, the turn signal / dimmer switch combo) and the MFS itself. If, however, the high mount does NOT light up, I'd be checking the brake light switch and its fuse first (and not just eyeballing - a test lamp or meter is what I use).

For the REVERSE lights - here, I'd highly recommend the factory service manual for the wiring diagrams so you can check the flow and see where the current stops. Is it a blown fuse? Are those exposed wires broken where the reverse light current was piped through there? Is there a bad connector between the front and the back of the truck? How about the backup light switch (manual transmissions) or the transmission range selector switch (automatics)? To help, for 2002 (and hopefully for 2001!) the #26 fuse in the underhood fuse box does the backup lights, the voltage comes out on a brown/light green wire, which goes to the appropriate switch, and comes out of the switch on a violet/black wire. This goes into the PDC, where it gets split to the right backup light, the left backup light, the trailer connector, and the optional auto-dim mirror. That should help troubleshoot it some - I'd check that fuse both sides, then the brown/light green wire into the backup light switch or the transmission range selector switch, then the violet/black wire out of there. Just as a (probably unnecessary!) reminder - while checking it in gear, DON'T have the motor running, and DO have the wheels chocked!

RwP

Quick Reply: no brake lights or reverse lights