2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Brief engine rattle at start up

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 02:24 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Brief engine rattle at start up

With 260K, you guys might tell me to just shut up, but I get a brief clatter at cold startup, until the oil pump does it's thing. Lasts about five to ten seconds... been this way since I got the truck. It was one of the reasons why I considered running a motor flush through it.

Lifters?

Old 07-08-2015, 02:57 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I've run two engine flushes through my 2.5 with good results but your engine is dramatically different than my simple old school 2.5.

I don't think its anything more than old age lifters not as responsive as they used to be and your oil pressure may be a little low at 260K on startup.

New lifters may help at 260K but its no simple task to replace them.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:49 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My 5.2L does the same thing but only about 1-2 seconds.. esp if it sits a while with out being ran. But I threw after i did my timing change and intake plen. fix the high mileage type oil in there which is a synthetic blend and it has not done it since i started use it.. just a thought..

BUt most say the same thing it is what it is until oil gets to the upper end. I'd run some synthetic through there see if it does not help quite it down and keep it a little extra lubrication if your not already using it.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:18 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

I've been running full syn PP for the past 3 oil changes. Oil pressure gauge is always dead center. I wasn't planning on tearing into it as I think it might be normal at this age. Was considering the flush in case the oil ports are not operating full bore. As always, I fear sludging the sump tho. Jon are u running valvoline maxlife?

Old 07-08-2015, 11:42 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

One more thing, somewhat tangentally related:

Ford's modular motors are bad about follower noise on a cold start until the oil starts to circulate. Also, my 1988 3.9 with a cheap filter rattles like it's going to toss all its rods out the side for the first few seconds. OTOH, now that I'm using Wix and Motorcraft filters, I don't have that - they seem to have the best anti-drain-back valves of the brands that fit both cars.

May be worth changing the brand of oil filter to one with a much better ADBV - there's reviews all over the Internet where they cut the various brands apart and compare them.

Shucks, my favorite site for lubrication information ( BobIsTheOilGuy.COM ) has a forum where they post the tear-aparts for comparision.

RwP

Old 07-09-2015, 08:39 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by RalphP
Also, my 1988 3.9 with a cheap filter rattles like it's going to toss all its rods out the side for the first few seconds. OTOH, now that I'm using Wix and Motorcraft filters, I don't have that - they seem to have the best anti-drain-back valves of the brands that fit both cars.

I spend time on BITOG too.

Currently running Bosch Distanceplus filters in my cars. The rattle that I get is pretty muted and not noticed by anyone but me. As mentioned earlier, it's most prevalent if the truck sits for a few days. Maybe all these trucks have it. I'm just super sensitive to everything that goes on with my vehicles. Always have been.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:10 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You could always drive it up to Nashville and sell it to me at a heavily discounted price !

Old 07-10-2015, 09:13 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by TNtech
You could always drive it up to Nashville and sell it to me at a heavily discounted price !

Yessir! I'll treat you to lunch and free drinks while we close the deal and you can drop me off on side of the highway for the long walk back home.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have always had that rattle as well, even when warm. It goes away.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:53 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes sir i am..

get you a mech. stethoscope have someone start the truck and hunt the main valve covers timing covers and such thats how i found mine was noisey...

I'm thnking about those two OHC chains.. possible they are not getting lubircation enough at first or something is a miss in there.. loose streatched?

My 5.2L had a rattle like that once i replaced my timing chain it was good.. yours is gonna have those long pain in the *** one's... lots of places to 'rattle' on .. if its not a lifter but those should quiet up really quick once oil squirts out like a male virgin and his first .... you get the idea. LOL

Quick Reply: Brief engine rattle at start up