2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

ecm help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 07:04 PM
squigg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecm help please!!

01 dakota 5.9 quad cab. I had my ecm fail on me so I sent it out to a place in Illinois to get repaired. It does start my vehicle now but it has a nasty backfire and will not idle. Does anyone think I should get it flashed?

Old 08-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by squigg
01 dakota 5.9 quad cab. I had my ecm fail on me so I sent it out to a place in Illinois to get repaired. It does start my vehicle now but it has a nasty backfire and will not idle. Does anyone think I should get it flashed?
FYI, I had a remanufactured PCM sent to me three times and none of them were good. I finally found one on ebay, used but it came out of a running junker, same engine and close options. Problems ended here. I don't know what it is but their equipment does not duplicate a real world situation and had absolutely no luck in convincing them of that. They finally sent me a used one untouched which works also. I now have two but they are for a 3.9.
Maybe the flash will work but I wouldn't count on it. Not to discourage you but figured I give you my experience. Maybe some people here will chime in on the luck they had with there PCM either remanu. or repaired. Good Luck!

Old 08-01-2015, 07:18 PM
squigg

Thanks for the wisdom! I've been researching it like crazy and it does definitely seem to be a big problem with these. Thank

Old 08-03-2015, 03:14 PM
Bullelk9

I am having the same issue with my '02 Dodge Dakota 5.9ltr automatic trans, mine has failed also or better said "is failing" and I was told the same thing as Robertwav1 told you. Find one in the junkyards that has same engine size and and transmission type with close or same types of power options. I was also told that the same year Dodge Durango will be a better choice to look for in order to locate a PCM than trying to find a Dakota in a junkyard. Good luck I have been looking for the better part of a year for a replacement that fits, then I will have it reflashed with my VIN# at a dealership.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:59 PM
squigg

Wow! That's awful! It hurts so much to see it sittin there. You had yours repaired as well?

Old 08-04-2015, 05:24 AM
Bullelk9

That is the Most frustrating of all issues, some say it is fixable by sending it in to a company that has a very poor reputation (****/***computerexchange) of having to resend other parts consecutively not knowing you have placed a sizable repair $$ amount through a mechanic or dealership, after already purchasing what you have researched online as a dependable truck, also as a internet promoted good choice vehicle, only to be hoodwinked into paying for the costs of a faulty P.O.S. truck brain. Others say with internal controller memory check faulting it cannot be repaired but has to be replaced. How do you replace a part that is no longer made or manufactured other than the way that you can, by finding a module(ECM/PCM) that is comparable or similar too what u have(power similarities, engine size and transmission type) and then re-flashing it(PCM/ECM)(by the dealer that programs it to match and by the way sold you this problem in the first place) to further identify with your VIN #, this makes me very unhappy with the circumstances mainly because no one knows the true recourse of this obviously frequent problem (it has happened on a number of the vehicle types and models with Chrysler/Dodge trucks and it can happen with other vehicles of other denomination, but from I have read online it is mostly with this manufacturer/vendor or year and model, and should be a company wide fix for all or recall to be fixed on their bill and time, did you know my sister-in-law had her 2001 pcm/ecm fixed at a local dealership for $900+ the part was $49 and the labor to plug it in to the three connectors and computer program it came to $900????? On my word as an American, REALLY???? It really shouldn't be this difficult to get something fixed on one of America's foremost namesakes or popular vehicles. I dont get the problem or the biased irresponsibly of what we have put so much of our time money and trust into believing that this could be right.....thats all I have to say and Im sorry for your circumstance as well (good luck my friend let me know how and what happens,please), other than I love my patriot blue Dakota but my wallet runs thin (as well as my faith in an American product) in this aspect....I just want it to be the way I bought it....working and running good, as a Dodge should.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:37 PM
squigg

You are so totally right! I'm still trying to wrap around the dealer and sent my ecm back to the company that fixed it. Hopefully this time it works but I'm not gettin my hopes up.