2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Clunks & steering feedback after front-end rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 05:26 PM
Cmiracle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunks & steering feedback after front-end rebuild?

Hello all-
I drive a 2003 SLT Quad-cab 4.7L auto 2wd with 95k miles, its a great truck for me. Recently I've replaced most of the front end after the balljoints and tierods went out, including:
  • all 4 balljoints
  • inner and outer tierods
  • stabilizer links
  • lower control arm bushings
  • new Rancho 5000 shocks- these are great!
(everything done on both sides)
I got an alignment and the bad balljoint 'thump' is gone while turning and the noises are almost nill, the frontend is a bit tighter-feeling as well, BUT I still have a little bit of steering-wheel slop that is noticeable on the highway.

Current Issue-
When braking from higher speeds to a stop, and when starting from such a stop, I'm getting a fairly loud 'clunk' from the frontend that I can feel through the steering wheel. It's hardly noticeable around the neighborhood, but its still there, too. Could my rack and pinion be bad? Bad steering shafts? Kinda bummed out that I still have something after replacing most of the front-end...

Old 08-09-2015, 06:56 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

It's unlikely to be the rack. You've replaced all the tie rods so it should be tight from the left to right spindle. No play, no noise.

I'd be looking at the brakes. How are the caliper mounting screws? Are the pads seated correctly?

The steering shaft shouldn't clunk either. Usually they bind up tight but they can also have a lot of play.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:22 PM
Cmiracle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks DakDan-
All the caliper mounting bolts are tight, that's the first thing I checked, thinking it was the brakes. From the 'feel' of the clunk I was imagining the rack rolling around loose and got bummed out, but it looks completely fine with no play on the wheels. I'll check the pads- I'm in college and am still learning everything as I work on my truck, so I guess that I may not have got the pads back in 100%. How do I check to see if they're seated properly?

Old 08-10-2015, 08:59 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Just give the pads a good look. Make sure they are firmly into the piston, they "clip" into place. Is the spring tight that holds them onto the caliper itself?

Jack each front wheel and check for play. While not the typical description of a bad wheel hub it's worth looking into.

Quick Reply: Clunks & steering feedback after front-end rebuild?