2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

dodge runs bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 12:14 AM
roblaws
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dodge runs bad

hi all got a good one for you. i have 1997 dodge dakota 318 5.2. i put new heads on it all new gaskets, a new crank and pick up and cap rotor new plugs wires new iac and idle control. when you start it up runs like crap sounds like missing and back fires can't get no power out of it ( has about 128000. miles on it. people are telling me that ecm is bad, timming chain is out or dist is bad) i got a lot of money in it so far can't seem to figure this thing out can anyone throw me some ideas. Thanks for reading this could us any help. also it is not throwing any codes

Old 08-15-2015, 03:44 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Try putting the old crank sensor back on see if that helps check wires one may be off.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:15 PM
roblaws

i would if my son didn't loose it. can't find it anywhere

Old 08-16-2015, 08:51 AM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roblaws
hi all got a good one for you. i have 1997 dodge dakota 318 5.2. i put new heads on it all new gaskets, a new crank and pick up and cap rotor new plugs wires new iac and idle control. when you start it up runs like crap sounds like missing and back fires can't get no power out of it ( has about 128000. miles on it. people are telling me that ecm is bad, timming chain is out or dist is bad) i got a lot of money in it so far can't seem to figure this thing out can anyone throw me some ideas. Thanks for reading this could us any help. also it is not throwing any codes
I went through a battle such as this not to long ago with a 98 Dakota so I don't think they are that much different. I assume compression is good, if it is I would suggest going over everything again. I have had a lot of problems with new parts, keeping the old ones and throwing them back in was well worth it. The distributor inside under the prox switch (if your truck has this), check and make sure it's not floating around, it's a metal piece that makes and breaks the prox switch. O2 sensors, upstream, keep as suspect as well. PCM could be the culprit but recheck everything first before condemming that. Keep a history on what you do, it's easy to get fooled by multiple problems.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:47 PM
roblaws

thanks for info i went ahead and cheked all the wiring cause i thought the mice had chewed it up but didn't find any chewed. i did notice that the crank sencer had scuff marks on it so i wonder if factory one is different shape of oem replacement. been on a 9 day work week going to go at the truck on tues will let you kmow what i find. thank you again.

Quick Reply: dodge runs bad