2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

CTM Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Vesuvius
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTM Replacement

I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota SLT Crew Cab with a 3.9L engine and based on what I have been able to find out the CTM is bad and I am looking to replace it. My problem is that the model number I was given by the dealer for the part looks different than the one on my truck.

I looked on ebay to buy one and all of those with photos show the cabling connects on top/bottom of the CTM while the one on my truck is on the side. It also appears that the connectors have changed. There are two smaller ones on the replacement while my model has 3 large connectors all the same size. Is there a conversion cable that can be used to swap these out or am I going to have to splice the cables together to replace?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for viewing.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:00 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

You DO NOT have to cut/splice the cables or modify ANYTHING. The CTM should be an exact fit.

You WILL need to reprogram your keyless entries - via a dealer. They won't work after the swap.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:52 AM
Vesuvius

Thank you for the reply.

I understand the need for reprogramming. Just not sure why the pictures of ALL the CTM's I was viewing on ebay had one large connector and two small connectors. On my unit it has 3 large connectors. One of the photos I saw had the cable still attached and it was very clear that 2 of the 3 connectors where a smaller version of what I see on my truck. Maybe I should take a photo of it and past both the ones I am viewing and the actual one on my truck. Just want to make sure I am not getting in over my head on an electrical repair.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:47 AM
Vesuvius

Could I be looking at the wrong part on my truck?

Where is it located? I thought it was under the hood on the left sidewall as your standing in front of the truck.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:20 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You're looking at the wrong part. The CTM is under the dash, drivers side. You're describing the PCM.

What's the issue you're having?

Old 08-20-2015, 12:01 PM
Vesuvius

Intermittent electrical problems:

Horn no longer sounds when locking the doors with the remote.
Headlights flicker on and off.
Door locks won't lock/unlock.
Intermittent wiper settings not working

These are the main issues.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:32 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

All those are controlled by the CTM, under the dash.

You can try disconnecting the battery for a bit to see if it "clears." After that, check for bad grounds. G208, if you follow the bundle from the CTM down, is on the drivers side above the kick panel. G207, also for the CTM, if you follow the harness from the airbag control module - center of dash above the console, it splits off and bolts to the transmission tunnel.

It's worth a shot anyways.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:05 PM
Vesuvius

Thanks for all the great information. Any chance there is diagram somewhere out there so I can see how everything connects prior to me digging into it?

Old 08-20-2015, 07:18 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Download the '01 service manual here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-download.html

It's the same as your '02.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:36 PM
Jason Spencer
Default I unplugged my ctm with battery connected help

So I am new here so I appreciate any information you can provide So my wipers where coming on everytime I hit my blinker or turned on my head lights and someone recommended that I checked the ctm for corrosion on the plugs I stupidly unplugged the three harnesses connected to it and also the wire harness behind the steering wheel everything looked clean and good I plugged everything back in and now I have power to my lights horn dome lights and the chime when the doors open with the lights on but no lights on the dash no stereo and nothing happens when I turn the key is there a way to reset this or does anyone have any information that may help thanks in advance for your help

Quick Reply: CTM Replacement