2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 Dakota engine ticking/knocking HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 05:55 PM
John Curran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dakota engine ticking/knocking HELP PLEASE

I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota 4x4 4.7L V8 with 156,000 miles on it. This past week on my way home from work I was going around 60mph and I heard a quiet "knocking" noise from what appeared to be the engine. I thought that maybe I was low on oil again bc that has happened twice since I got the truck at 135,000 miles. I checked the oil level and it was a little low so I filled it back up to par. 2 nights ago I was driving home and the noise had become quiet a bit louder and would go away when RPM's were less than 2000. As I was driving to work this morning it sounded a whole lot worse than the other night and is now present even when the truck is idling. The ticking/knocking accelerates as the truck accelerates and seems to go back quite, but still present, when off the gas. I really need help diagnosing what's wrong with my truck so I can fix it because I really can't afford a mechanic. Thanks in advance!!
I can't upload the video from two nights ago or the ones from this morning but I can email them to help better diagnose the problem.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

The 4.7L does not take well to running with low oil. Not that any engine does, but this one in particular, so you really have to be on it before the oil gets too low. If you're hearing a heavy knock, vs just ticking...the main bearings might be shot in which case, you'd need a new engine or rebuild.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:30 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

How's the oil pressure? Don't rely on your gauge, rent/borrow an oil pressure gauge from a parts store and check it.

Can you narrow down where you hear the noise? Ticking is usually around the valvetrain - pull the valve cover and look. A knock is usually a bad bearing, often a rod bearing. Sometimes you can narrow down which rod by disabling the spark plug on the cylinder - disconnect the coil pack.

Quick Reply: 2002 Dakota engine ticking/knocking HELP PLEASE