2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front Driveshaft Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 01:57 PM
K4IRK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Driveshaft Question

I have a '89 Dakota 4x4 and also a '98 4x4. On my '89, when the transfer case is in 4x2 mode, the front driveshaft is free and can be turned by hand. On my '98, I was just under it a day or so ago and I noticed that although the transfer case is in 4x2 mode, I cannot turn the front driveshaft by hand. Is that the way it is supposed to be? Was there a design change different from the '89 or could there be a front actuator problem going on? I had to replace the vacuum switch on my '89 (the switch at the transfer case with the 4 vacuum fittings) because the 4x4 light would not go off.

Any help please

Old 09-16-2015, 03:29 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

That's just how it should be.

There is no actuator on the 2nd gen Dakota. The entire front drivetrain rotates all the time. All the transfer case does is disconnect the front prop shaft from the transmission.

When you tried to turn the driveshaft you were trying to move the truck.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:03 PM
K4IRK

Thank you DakDan for answering. I was afraid something wasn't right. I can't believe that Dodge couldn't have come up with a better way or should I say a way at all to keep all of that upfront stuff from turning all of the time. To me that seems like a step backwards from the Gen 1 trucks where you can disconnect the from driveshaft from the CV axles. But what do I know.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:11 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't know, sometimes simple is better.

Doesn't help the mileage though.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:14 PM
Dakmm
Professional

Originally Posted by K4IRK
Thank you DakDan for answering. I was afraid something wasn't right. I can't believe that Dodge couldn't have come up with a better way or should I say a way at all to keep all of that upfront stuff from turning all of the time. To me that seems like a step backwards from the Gen 1 trucks where you can disconnect the from driveshaft from the CV axles. But what do I know.
Yeah but that setup is the reason you have shift on the fly and don't have to get out and lock your hubs.

Either way is better to me than the auto lock hubs that were around for a while (I had them on an old Toyota) they were terrible.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:26 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakmm
Either way is better to me than the auto lock hubs that were around for a while (I had them on an old Toyota) they were terrible.
I had a Chevy Suburban with those. I took them off, threw them as far as I could, and replaced them with Warn manual hubs.

Quick Reply: Front Driveshaft Question