2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Distributor seal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 05:34 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Distributor seal?

is there a Distributor seal for our trucks with out having to replace the entire assembly?

My truck has some wet oil film on the back side of the kegger and I know damn well its not leaking after repair.. I think its coming from dist.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:03 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

On rockauto they show O-ring seals for the distributor but that means pulling it.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:15 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

It is just an o-ring.

Make sure you do not run the distributor at all when you pull it. If you do, you'll throw the fuel sync off.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:34 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Maybe clean that area extremely well let dry then use a spray sealer or RTV gasket sealer around the area see if that helps.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:51 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Maybe clean that area extremely well let dry then use a spray sealer or RTV gasket sealer around the area see if that helps.
that's my thought. RTV it. Gray Permatex is the only thing sealing the front and back of the manifold on the dragster...

Old 10-14-2015, 09:37 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

You may even try popping up the distributor just a very small amount to get the RTV under the distributor clamp.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:49 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

If you are pushing oil out that area I wonder if your PVC breather valve is working as you may have crankcase pressure. Check that the crankcase breather system is functioning properly.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:35 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just replaced the PCV valve I checked the engine as my check gauges (Oil pressure) dropped every time i came to a stop I was 2 qts too low only 1.5K miles since the plenum was fixed and i did all my work on it.. no oil leaks around except that little little dampness there in that back side not sure if thats the back side leaking or dist. but i know i siliconed that bastard well so i really dont think its leaking.

Checked inside the belly pan and could see nice wet oil coming down from the PCV port so i know its sucking excessive oil in.. I had a different one than spec bc the one for our truck is plastic and was noisy as hell I got one from a former car quest (now advanced) and it seems to be working well with out excessive rattleing.. looking down there doesnt look like any leaks and no pooling so i think my seal as far as my intake is good.. I have a video from month ago as i was watching oil level go down if anyone cares to comment on it.

basically as you can see in this video thats what it looks like inside except the pooling there right under the pcv.

so well see if it doesnt help slow down oil consumption.

as far as the pressure idea yea my dad was thinking same thing.. you know on these air hats and most engines when under pressure even old carb one's you recall it does suck oil even with filter there i have seen little oil drip on the inside air hat that would be pulling air through the system.. I'm half tempted to put an open element oil filter there and capping off the system like they used to do on the old systems when they went open air filter..

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Distributor seal?