2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Replacing rear axle assembly. What can/can't I do?

Old 11-26-2015, 07:19 AM
Sleap
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing rear axle assembly. What can/can't I do?

I tried posting this 2-3 days ago but for some reason it never made it.
2002 club cab, 4x4,4.7, auto.

Need to rebuild/replace rear axle assembly. Pinion nut came loose, pinion went backwards into rear, tore up ring, big chunk ot of carrier.

I'd just as soon replace the whole assembly as rebuild it. Hex cover,9.25 ring,3.92,11" brakes.

This seems to be very hard to find and very expensive, when I search using 2002 Dakota only. I do find more with 9" brakes. I also find alot more for Durango (and cheaper!), but does Durango work?

Help! Need to get this on the road soon but also need to be able to afford to do it! What can I use?

Thanks!!

Old 11-26-2015, 09:02 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

11" brakes, as in drums?

Expand your search for "interchange" parts. 3.92 is a common ratio and shouldn't be hard to find.

On a 4x2 the spring mounts are on top, yours are on the bottom. The spring mounts are different on the Durango I believe.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:32 AM
Sleap

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
11" brakes, as in drums?

Expand your search for "interchange" parts. 3.92 is a common ratio and shouldn't be hard to find.

On a 4x2 the spring mounts are on top, yours are on the bottom. The spring mounts are different on the Durango I believe.

Yes 11" drums. Some are 9". I've read some places that the Durango will work, other places where either shock mounts or spring mounts are different. Thing is, the Durango axle assemblies I'm finding are several hundred dollars less.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:59 AM
OlrustysGhost
Rookie

This is what I use for comparing
http://car-part.com/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing rear axle assembly. What can/can't I do?