2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

This may sound off but : > )

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 09:42 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default This may sound off but : > )

I’m looking for a car heated seat cushion/cover to keep my backside warm this winter any suggestions anything that can be left on for a few hours at all or a timer?

Arizona does get a bit cold in winter not like you back east guys but still a cold seat sucks.

Thanks for any suggestions

Old 12-01-2015, 11:17 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

How far into it do you want to go?

RockAuto (amongst others!) sells a Dorman universal kit (which I have benchmarked, it's on my list of things to do when I redo the Dak's seats and when I get the Cougar's seats redone): http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...partnum=628040

That said, places like Rakuten (old Buy.COM ) had heated seat cushions for a while: http://pulsetv.shop.rakuten.com/p/p/273305196.html

Caveat: I've not used the Rakuten cover, although the reviews look promising. I also haven't used the Dorman, but have talked to a couple of people who've added it to seats. So far they're pleased, but yes, switch a relay so they're not on when the ignition is off ... or put some kind of time delay relay in there so you can turn them on and let them warm up before you sit in there, because they WILL flat kill a battery if left on!

RwP

Old 12-02-2015, 12:42 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

A heated pad/cushion that you plug in is what Im looking for I found over a dozen online.

Im hoping someone has used one and can recomend a model.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:29 PM
patchelect
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually have an unheated pad on the seat I found in some auto parts chain somewhere. It's nothing more than egg crate rubber inside a cover. The cover has deteriorated but the cushion is sill good. I mention that because it is surprisingly not cold in the winter, and I AM in the northeast! It may not be a true "bun warmer" but it works.

But I do have cloth seats, not leather or vinyl.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:44 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Not sure how you guys do it but I can't stand heated seats. They will run me out of a car two minutes after being turned on. Same thing with under desk space heaters. I work in IT and can't stand em. Guess I'm extra warm blooded. My next car must have dual zone heater cause me and the Miss are always fighting over the controls.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:45 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Well I use a quality memory foam pillow because of my back problems works wonders for my back but when cold it turns into a hard cold brick that’s why I’m going for the heated pad. Without the memory foam I couldn't drive much my back would start paining me something fierce. I was T-boned by a red light drunk going over 60 the same thing 5 years later by a yellow/mainly red light idiot going as fast as all hell trying to make the light totaled my new Truck and messed me up a year back in the 80's. So stretching Yoga and pain go hand in hand in my life.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:22 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

I totally understand. I had lower back surgery L4-L5, back in the nineties and still suffer today. I hike uphill to keep my back muscles strong but if I so much as sneeze, it still hurts

Old 12-12-2015, 04:41 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Thumbs up

Ok just receive my heated car seat pad

I like it gets my backside very warm in high mode remember I live in AZ so for mild AZ winter it works I dont strap it on just sit and go comfortable also not stiff or soft feels like it may be somewhat durable. No problem worrying about leaving it on as key out no power to cig lighter on a 98 Dakota.

Quick Reply: This may sound off but : > )