2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Clutch problem

Old 02-06-2016, 04:48 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well my old cap and rotor showed some wear but nothing abnormal. Same with my old plugs, they had a nice tan dusting and hardly any wear on the electrode ends. I did not replace my plug wires, my old ones are Autolite Professional wires and they are all still in very good shape.

I put in a new BWD distributor cap, I used the P Series with brass contacts, and a BWD P Series rotor. The ignition pickup I put in is also a BWD. I put in a new set of 3923's gapped at .040". I took a 15 mile test drive and my truck ran great the whole time, not a miss or a skip or a hiccup of any kind. It has a nice smooth even idle, a little better than before and a little better throttle response. I am calling it done, I really do believe the pickup sensor was the cause of the skip/misfire problem I had on Tuesday. The first time it acted up on Tuesday was right after I left work. I had only gone about half a mile and the engine had that miss or misfire problem about 4 or 5 times in less than 3 miles of driving. I had no problems at all today.

Now I just need to order my clutch hydraulics set, Rock Auto is the only place I can find it unless I want to pay $280.00 to the local Dodge Boys. It's $122.00 from Rock and comes already bled and is a sealed unit so it should not be much trouble to put on. Until then I will have to watch the brake fluid level in the reservoir and keep it topped off.

Thanks for everyone's help here.

Jimmy

Old 02-07-2016, 11:42 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
Now I just need to order my clutch hydraulics set, Rock Auto is the only place I can find it unless I want to pay $280.00 to the local Dodge Boys. It's $122.00 from Rock and comes already bled and is a sealed unit so it should not be much trouble to put on. Until then I will have to watch the brake fluid level in the reservoir and keep it topped off.

Thanks for everyone's help here.

Jimmy
Edit...Rock Auto's price on the clutch hydraulic assembly was $103.79. With standard ground shipping and their 5% discount code my final price was $108.24. I ordered it last night. Autozone was the only local parts store that had the assembly and it was special order only. Their price on it was $122.00. When I called Autozone the guy said it was out of stock, no ETA on when they could get it for me, could be a week, could be a month, who knows. I have never had any problems like that from Rock Auto. Hopefully I will have it by Friday and can R&R the part next weekend. The Rock Auto part is made by AMI and is supposed to be great quality. I think it is also made here in the USA.

Jimmy

Old 02-08-2016, 10:14 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

One last update here..My truck ran perfect today on my 40 mile round trip commute to work and back home. The new ignition pickup fixed the skip/miss/misfire problem. So maybe this thread might help someone else with the same problem. I got an email from Rock Auto today too, they shipped my clutch hydraulic assembly and it should be here on Thursday.

Jimmy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch problem