2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Horn/alarm issue. Need advice please.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:36 PM
ProuDad103
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn/alarm issue. Need advice please.

Hello, I am new to this site, but I hope to find some useful advice to my problem.

I have a 2003 Dakota 4.7L 89k miles. I am having an issue with my horn/alarm. Sometimes, (not all the time) when I press the unlock button on my fob, the horn/alarm starts going off, headlights flash. Press unlock again and it stops. One night when I was leaving Wal-Mart I pressed the unlock on the fob, the truck did not unlock but the horn went off constant as if I was holding my hand pressed on it. Started the truck it would not stop, had to pull the horn relay out. Next day put it back in, and was fine for a few days, then unlock it, horn/alarm goes off and headlights flash. There were 2 seperate occassions when I was sitting inside my home and the horn randomly just went constant. Haven't bothered putting the relay back in as I don't want to chance it happening at 2am when I'm sleeping and may not wake to stop it. With the relay out, the lights don't flash when I unlock it which kind of tells me it may not necessarily be an alarm wiring/module issue. Plus I don't have a horn when I'm driving. Does anyone have any advice where to start? Tried a new horn relay and same issue. I don't really have the money to have a shop look at it, and even if I do, unless it does it for them what can they do. It does it randomly. Not all the time. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:20 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The Central Timer Modules in these can be problematic and weird. The ones in the left kick panel are exposed to quite a bit of humidity and can oxidize the terminals and/or ckt board.

Try unplugging and plugging back in a few times to see if it stops.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:48 AM
ProuDad103

Is there only one? Where exactly is it located? How expensive are they if it needs to be replaced?

Old 02-15-2016, 12:41 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

On yours, probably behind the glove box shell. I don't know the cost.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:51 PM
ProuDad103

Ok. I'll check that out and hopefully it solves the problem. Thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Horn/alarm issue. Need advice please.