2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

building a drag truck.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 11:11 PM
John32
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well its been along time but here is an update, truck can together nicely got everything we wanted to get done, done. truck didnt make it to the track however :/ damn work. but we did get to do alot of testing, truck needs some minor work.
front end-ball joints tie rods.
not sure what to do this winter as far as getting more power out of the motor or doing bigger weight reductions,
If we go with weight reductions, Ill be looking for fiberglass fenders and hoods, smaller rims ext.
If we go for more power, here are kind of our options, at the shop I have twin 58mm turbos, just laying around plan on putting them on the next motor but might add one, second we were thinking a better cam,
now this next part is just a thought, throttle bodys are expensive so I was thinking about fabing a adapter plate to put two stock 50mm throttle bodys on for the cost of aluminum instead of spending $300.00+ and only gaining a few mm. but I dont know how to wire it if i should jump all the senors together or put one set of senors on the adapter plate? has anyone done this before??? help me out, I think it be cool if we could run two of them, dont see that around much. '

what has been added to the truck
line lock
B&M ratchet shifter
3'' mopar tac with shift light.
true duals 2 1/2'' performance mufflers

If anyone has some spare part like fiberglass hoods or fenders, rims, racing seats, or really anything related let me know would be interested
thanks for all the help guys!!!!

Old 12-04-2016, 09:00 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Ever see this...

One throttle position sensor is used.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:17 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

John, you might poke your head over in the dakota FB group- https://www.facebook.com/groups/dakotart/

Several boosted guys in there, alot of sarcastic A-holes, but quite a few guys that are very helpful, especially on the induction side.

I forget who did the 6-pack EFI shown above. I do recall that it was an absolute pain, and they pretty much just hacked the top off an airgap manifold and CNC'd a new base plate and welded it on.

I'm probably going to end up with the hughes airgap and the FAST/Accufab throttle body. Alot of people liked the Accel throttle body, but it's been discontinued. There's a CCR model on ebay that some people have been flocking to that will accept stock throttle linkage. I'm not running a stock linkage so i'm not eligible.

Don't forget about HiPoTek, Richard is very knowledgable, right now I'm waiting on motor mounts from him before ordering the PDC mounting brackets and a transmission crossmember.

I have my build thread going here on the forum as well, i'm in alot deeper than you are.

Quick Reply: building a drag truck.