2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Right turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 12:25 AM
quadcab04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right turn signal problem

I have a 04 Dakota the left turn signal works fine the right signal however flashes very rapidly. I do have working lights both front and rear on right side they just flash about twice as fast as the left does. I just bought the truck the previous owner just had new sockets and bulbs put in on the front and rear, however there was no indication on the work order from the shop which side they replaced. The work was done the day before I picked up the truck, have paperwork on the repair and the receipt I would take it back to the shop but I bought the truck in Charleston SC and I live in Chapel Hill NC about 350 miles apart

Does anyone have a suggestion on what it could be

Thanks Paul

Old 06-01-2016, 07:58 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Pull the bulbs out and clean the sockets real good.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:56 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Make sure both lights on the right side front work.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:32 PM
diverherb

The flasher works on resistance in the system so if you have a bulb out, wrong bulb, bad connection (which a lot of the Chrysler products experience) or a bad ground it will cause the signals to flash faster on the offending side.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:53 AM
quadcab04
Thumbs up thanks for the insight

Just wanted to say thanks for the knowledge that has been shared with me about this matter. I really appreciate the fact my qestions have been answered in a helpful matter I have been on other forums in which the comments I have received are sarcastic at best. I work third shift so I will attempt this at home when I get in in the am. I have never been a mechanic so wish me luck. Is there a spray you can buy to use to clean the sockets forgive me for asking dumb questions I just don't want to mess anything up.

Little side note: A friend of mine is coming over to the house ( he is a mechanic) I have ordered side step rails and a bolt on dual exhaust system with a flowmaster 44 should look and sound mean when I get it done.

Thanks again Paul

Old 06-02-2016, 07:40 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Any contact cleaner will work. We try our best to be nice here, but I know what you mean. Some forums are worse than facebook.....

Old 06-02-2016, 04:53 PM
diverherb

I have found that most of the time the terminal contacts in the socket itself are the offending pieces. Never had much luck with contact cleaner, generally a small wire cleaning brush works pretty good. I also apply a little dialectic grease to the bulb/socket to keep it from happening again.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:35 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eliminate the bulbs by switching them from side to side.

Quick Reply: Right turn signal problem