2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cruise control retrofit for '02 SLT with 3.9L/5spd manual?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 12:11 PM
fastfeat
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control retrofit for '02 SLT with 3.9L/5spd manual?

I've got a 2002 Dakota SLT Club Cab with 3.9/5spd combo. Was there ever a cruise control option for this model/year? If so, on manual trans vehicles? I do some long trips (LA to SF, LA to Florida) and could make use of cruise if it could be fitted w/o too much modification. Any info appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:31 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes it was an option and yes on manual transmission equipped vehicles as well. It was available from Dodge as a dealer installed option but good luck on finding a kit now.

I have it on my '00 with a 5 speed, added a a few years ago. I got all the parts from the boneyard, cost me $35.

You'll need the cruise control servo, the servo cable, a clockspring, and the steering wheel switches. The wiring is in place.

On the switches you'll need to pull the steering wheel and change the clockspring out. I had to change the wheel too but used the original airbag.

That's probably the most involved part of the job - it is an easy install.

The "problem" you might have is finding a dealer to enable the cruise light on the cluster. One dealer told me it wouldn't work (the cruise was working I just didn't know when it was on) but I found another that KNEW the Dakota (older guy) and within 5 minutes he reprogrammed the cluster using the DRB. Cost me all of $20.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:02 PM
glhall1960
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cruise retrofit

I did a retrofit on my '04 SXT 3.7L V6, 42RLE, 4x4. I got all of my parts individually out of the parts manual and had it installed by a local dealer. I think it cost me somewhere around $400 total (parts and labor) and it's worked without a hiccup for a lot of years. By the time I got around to doing it you couldn't buy the accessory kit anymore, but the dealer I bought the parts from was awesome in getting me everything I needed. There was only one part they missed and I found it locally at a salvage yard. Good luck!

Old 09-07-2016, 09:58 PM
lambs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are some after market kits available, including some that just have dash mounted switches, which I think might be simpler. I have considered having one installed but never yet bothered to check them out. Now that my kids aren't moving around so often, my highway miles have dropped…..

Old 09-08-2016, 08:50 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

It's about a 15 minute job. Just pull the steering wheel and you're done. No splicing of wires, no mounting anything anywhere.

You are going to have trouble finding anything aftermarket for a 15+ year old vehicle.

Quick Reply: Cruise control retrofit for '02 SLT with 3.9L/5spd manual?