2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Steering rack groan

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 07:16 PM
glhall1960
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering rack groan

I have a 2004 SXT, 3.7 V6, 42RLE auto trans, 4x4 with 94,000 miles. Lately I've been getting a "groaning" noise from the steering when turning the wheels while stopped or moving slowly. It's loud enough to hear easily and I can feel it through the steering wheel as well. It's not been long since I had the front end inspected and new shocks and ball joints installed, so I don't think it's anything to do with the suspension. Aside from the noise when cranking the wheel the steering seems fine, so I'm not afraid of driving it, just curious as to whether the rack and/or pump are about to empty my wallet.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:58 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glhall1960
I have a 2004 SXT, 3.7 V6, 42RLE auto trans, 4x4 with 94,000 miles. Lately I've been getting a "groaning" noise from the steering when turning the wheels while stopped or moving slowly. It's loud enough to hear easily and I can feel it through the steering wheel as well. It's not been long since I had the front end inspected and new shocks and ball joints installed, so I don't think it's anything to do with the suspension. Aside from the noise when cranking the wheel the steering seems fine, so I'm not afraid of driving it, just curious as to whether the rack and/or pump are about to empty my wallet.
Did you even bother to check the fluid level?

Old 08-29-2016, 02:41 PM
glhall1960
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
Did you even bother to check the fluid level?
Please excuse my oversight in not mentioning that the fluid level is fine. I considered that such a fundamental check that it really didn't bear mentioning.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:49 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glhall1960
Please excuse my oversight in not mentioning that the fluid level is fine. I considered that such a fundamental check that it really didn't bear mentioning.
ALL details are important. Not everyone who comes here knows all the basics you'd think they should.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:27 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

groaning sounds like a loading issue with the pump. There's really not much to groan in a rack. But if you're feeling it in the wheel, it might be the intermediate shaft joint. It's a well known issue.

Quick Reply: Steering rack groan