2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

water in passenger floor

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 10:01 AM
dmdcens
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in passenger floor

I have a 2002 SXT and from the time I bought it the condenser dumps all the water in the passenger floorboards. I have read there is a service bulletin 23-0104 that has a fix. I am wondering what the fix entails. Is there a kit with the parts I can order? Are there instructions I can download to get the truck prepped to minimize down time? How much of the dash has to come out to install fix?

Lots of questions I know. I usually have the worse luck in the world so I want to try and get ready for crap to hit the fan.

Thanks, David

Old 08-30-2016, 10:58 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Here's the TSB info. You might check with a dealer to see if they'll do it. It might be free.

TSB 23-010-04 Revised September 9, 2004
Passenger Compartment Floor Water Leak

Water can enter the passenger compartment between the HVAC housing and the bulkhead. A foam seal is used to seal the heater housing to the bulkhead. Condensation from the A/C evaporator can run along the evaporator drain tube and enter the passenger compartment if the seal between the HVAC housing and the bulkhead is not sealed properly. This will result in wet passenger compartment carpet when the air conditioning is operating.

Repair: Locate the evaporator hose and drain tube opening in bulkhead at the rear of the engine compartment. Apply a bead of RTV sealer, p/n 04467708 or equivalent, to the perimeter of the opening to seal the joint between the bulkhead and the HVAC gasket and the joint between the drain tube and the HVAC gasket.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:01 PM
patchelect
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somewhere I found a You Tube video on this. Can't recall exactly what it entailed but silicone and fingers were involved. Silly design but not too difficult a repair. But like 00DakDan said, try a dealer first. They might accommodate.

Quick Reply: water in passenger floor