2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Intermittent Cruise control got worse

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 08:59 PM
Seth Ziggy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intermittent Cruise control got worse

I have a 4.7L v8 crew cab '04 Dakota. I'm not sure if its a sport, xlt, or even what options there are for that.

Previously, the cruise control would shut off randomly and not power back on until I turn the truck off and back on. It was an annoyance, but it didn't fail often enough for me to try and fix it. Now the cruise control shuts off before I even have a chance to set the speed. If i press the cruise control on/off switch the "cruise" letters under the odometer power on and immediately off.

Today I disassembled the steering column and removed the airbag/horn to look for loose or striped wires. I expected to find that overuse of the steering column tilt lever might have messed them up, but all of the wires were pristine.

I am also reasonably sure that the clock spring is not bad as when I turn the key to on, but don't start the engine, I am able to control the lighting of the "cruise" under the odometer with the cruise control on/off button without the light going out permanently. Even after extended periods of time. Although, the second I start the engine it powers the "cruise" light off, and I am unable to power the light back on until I turn the truck off and back on. Another reason I think the clock spring is not the issue is that the airbag light is not lit, but does work (I pulled the airbag fuse and the light powered on). The only thing I have not done to test the clock spring is to use the horn, but it did work a few months ago for inspection. I didn't want to wake the neighbors by testing it. I'll try in the morning and post if the horn does or doesn't work.

I have read that a bad brake sensor on the petal will cause the cruise control to turn off. But, would that mean turning the "cruise" light off or just canceling any set speed while leaving the light on?

If you have any other ideas as to what could power my cruise control system off while the engine is active, but not while it is powered off of the battery please let me know.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:57 AM
olsarge
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the cruise control turns off the light turns off. I'm betting it's the switch on the pedal.