2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Window master switch lockout failure - 5 minute fix found

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 04:57 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts
Default 5 minute fix for passenger window switches not working

So I found an astonishingly easy fix for the problem where all the passenger windows stop working, but the master still works.

The steps:

1. Remove the switch panel from the drivers door. Use two screwdrivers and pry up at the REAR end of the switch panel. Do not pry at the front end, else you will break two solid plastic tabs that lock it down. (The rear has two spring clips. Lubricate these clips with grease before reassembling.) Remove the two plugs which connect the wiring.

2. Remove switch assembly from plastic cover. All you need to pull are three Phillips screws.

3. Get a firm grip on the lockout button and pull upwards to remove the black button cover. It is attached to a spring loaded white plastic stalk.

Here comes the actual fix....

4. Get some electrical contact cleaner and spray that white stalk, while working it up and down with your finger. This cleans the contacts inside, which get dirty and cause the lockout switch to stop functioning. Be generous with the spray, let it fill up and work down. Please do not be cheap and use brake cleaner. Get the stuff that cleans and lubricates. I had some on the shelf from Radio Shack. The can was like 20 years old. LOL

5. Clean it up and reconnect the plugs to test passenger switches. Mine was instantly back to working. Reassemble all.

Note: I believe they mostly fail due to buildup on the contacts. However, if your problem is a burned out switch or wiring, you will need to open and resolder, or do the bypass found on this forum. Of course, you can also just replace the whole thing.

One last thing... 2001-2009 Ram uses the same switch assembly as our vehicles, if you're searching for replacements.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 03-19-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:37 AM
patchelect
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your detailed repair help.

There is also another quick fix that eliminates the feature by jumping the switch out altogether. I found it somewhere on this forum and did it to my truck. I only have an extended cab and see no reason for a childproof window anyway.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:24 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Be generous with the spray, let it fill up and work down. Please do not be cheap and use brake cleaner. Get the stuff that cleans and lubricates.
I take it back, about the brake cleaner. It gummed up again and stopped working a while back. A few shots of brake cleaner and it's been working fine ever since.