2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

LOWER HEATER HOSE IS COLD

Old 11-20-2005, 10:40 PM
adamdak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOWER HEATER HOSE IS COLD

HI, I HAVE A 97 DAKOTA 5.2 4X4, THE TRUCK WAS NOT HEATING AT ALL, SO I ASSUMED IT WAS THE THERMOSTAT AND REPLACED IT. BUT STILL VERY LITTLE HEAT I NOTICED ONLY ONE OF MY HEATER HOSES WAS HOT, SO I BACK FLUSHED THE HEATER CORE, NOW I HAVE HEAT BUT MY LOWER RADIATOR HOSE IS COLD. I DRILLED A SMALL HOLE IN MY THERMOSTAT. THINKING IT WAS AIR LOCKED, BUT IT DIDN'T HELP. DO I NEED TO FLUSH THE RADIATOR ALSO?[:@]

Old 11-23-2005, 11:53 AM
yellowjacket99
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LOWER HEATER HOSE IS COLD

You'll want to get one of those flush kits and flush the entire coolant system. That's what I had to do when my truck did that, except mine was overheating too. Anyway that took care of my issue.

Old 11-24-2005, 03:41 AM
ultimateanswer
Rookie

I just had this problem on my BMW Z-3. You have a clog in you heater core or one of the lead in lines. You will need to run some presure through the lines and the core to flush it out. Consult you service manual for the exact amount of pressure.

Old 11-24-2005, 11:56 PM
adamdak

Thanks YELLOWJACKET99, I'll try a flush kit, I am not overheating, I just don't like the idea of my lower hose cold, it should be at least warm right??

Old 12-01-2005, 11:40 AM
yellowjacket99
Professional

Adamdak, did you have heat at all when this started? I'm curious because now that I've been needing my heat in the winter I've noticed it isn't working good. The temp gauge works fine, and the temp is normal, but it doesn't seem to blow warm air unless I'm on the highway. Even then it doesn't blow hot air, just warm. The other night I started my truck to let it warm up, and it ended up running for 20-30 minutes before I actually ended up leaving my mom's house. I figured it would be nice and toasty inside, but it was still blowing pretty cool air.

Old 12-03-2005, 03:52 AM
horatio102
Champion

You guys probably need new heater cores - something about dissimilar metals, electolysis, and gunk... it results in the core filling up with crap that you may or may not be able to force out back the other way. I replaced the core in my Ram a couple of years ago and I think it might be getting fubar'd again as my hot air isn't as hot as I remembered it being. Before I replaced it I could drive 30 minutes down the freeway before the cab would start to warm up, and that was mostly heat soak through the firewall and floor boards due to the engine and exhaust. At least in the Ram it's a 1.5-2 hour project, in the Dak it'll be more like 6-8 hours from what I hear.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:29 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts

another thing to mention is to use distilled water, prevents gunk from forming when using the 5 year antifreeze.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LOWER HEATER HOSE IS COLD