Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 2nd Gen Dakota
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Dakota 1997 - 2004 Dakota's

Power Steering Problem??

Old 05-03-2006, 10:09 PM

Default Power Steering Problem??

I've got a 2004 Dodge Dakota SXT 4x4 Quad Cab With Flowmaster 40 Dual throw back with 4" Stainless tips, and a K&N FIPK2 with 47,000 miles and adding up chainging to Synthetic Oil on my next oil change that will be at my 48,000 Miles.

I've got a problem with my power steering a couple days back the stering got relly stiff and I checked the Power steeering fluid every day and its fine were it should be but the steering is hard what could it be??

Help me Please
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 05-04-2006, 01:20 AM
Professional

Vehicle: 1996 Dakota 5.2L
Default RE: Power Steering Problem??

I had a problem like this a while back with my '79 Chevy El Camino.
It would fight me when turning and would squeal at "maximum Deviation" (the farthest it could go to either side)
The mechanic replaced the P/S pump, and when that didn't entirely fix the problem they tried to replace the Steering Gear Box. Sadly, my frame was too rusted for them to be able to put the new Gear Box on, so I don't even know if that would have worked....
I know this isn't much help, and I'm sorry. That is the only experiance I have with P/S.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:37 AM
Professional

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota CC 4X4

Most likely the pump or a loose belt.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Professional

just asking, but are you putting ATF4 in your power steering. if you are using regular power steering fluid it will destroy you power steering assemblies.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:06 PM

I have not put any Fluid in to it Ive been checking the fluid every day and its full the fluid that it has is the original factory one and the belts are tight.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:10 PM

Had same problem with my 04 with 16000 miles dealer replaced pump still had problem dealer then replaced the rack, problem still there, i went to napa and bought grease injector needled and greased the ball joints and problem solved napa has greasable upper
ball joints but not lower. dealer installed pump and rack on 5-5-06 and never checked ball joints. there is a recall involving ball joints but not sure if 04's are included. good luck!
Old 05-31-2006, 01:57 AM

Had the same problem with my 2004 Dakota. 35000 on the odo, which is under their "minimum" driving limit of 40k for a 2 year old vehicle.

The symptoms came right after the spring thaw, when the roads were wet and puddles were constant. Once the roads dried up I noticed the steering would stiffen up, but would be loose in certain parts during a turn. So when your turning the wheel it would go stiff, loose, stiff, loose, etc. Normally, around the center mark it was very stiff. I've had it in and they've replaced everything from the ball joints to the steering pump. One thing to watch for, the first time I had it in they replaced my parts with used parts, which didn't happen the second time. Still, the issue hasn't gone away and they're now going to be replacing everything from the pump to the steering wheel to see if that solves it. They had a recall on the 2000 to 2003 Dakotas because of steering and ball-joint issues, I think the 04 should have been included too, considering. Read more about it here;

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in660217.shtml

- Faulty brake pads

- Ball Joints
- Steering arm
- Power steering
- Steering linkage

- Steering arm (again)

- SENDING IT BACK!
Old 06-11-2006, 11:41 AM

viper, my problems are exactly as you describe just like you were in my truck, my problem came back even after the balljoint greasing i mentioned in my last post and took it back for a third time, they kept it for a week and a half( i told them to call me when it was fixed right) had to go get it fri due to some POS stealing my spare car from my work place and the steering has been working flawless, they claim they could find nothing wrong but i think that they did something and do not want to admit to something other than what they did. who knows dealers[:@]
Old 04-18-2007, 02:39 AM

I brought my'04 Dakota in to Car-X today. I thought my power steering pump went bad, because it was really jerky to drive. Turns out it's worse. It's the steering rack. It starts to leak fluidout by the boots. The guy poked a small hole and some fluid started coming out. He said he's had the problem before on GM'sbut never on a Dodge. Thesteering rack isabout 790 bucks. Dodge Country has over three hundredon back-order. I wonder if/when Dodge will issue a recall.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:06 PM

Just wondering if you ever got your power steering problem fixed. What was the problem and what exactly fixed it? My truck (04 Dakota)is doing the exact same thing now - stiff, loose, stiff, loose steering.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
ORIGINAL: sharkbait72

Just wondering if you ever got your power steering problem fixed. What was the problem and what exactly fixed it? My truck (04 Dakota)is doing the exact same thing now - stiff, loose, stiff, loose steering.
Unfortunality my 04 is doing the same thing too.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:05 PM

My 2004 Dodge Dakota 4X4 is now on it's 3rd trip for service for a similar/same problem. The steering is rough and inconsistent while turning. They first replaced the steering rack and some "boot". That didn't work and so they replaced the power steering pump and immediately were not happy with the steering and so they put another rack in it. My wife picked it up and first thing she said to me was "I am never driving your truck again". I drove it a couple of days and it's obvious the problem is still there. I took it back tonight and waiting to see what happens next. I am almost ready to go buy something else. I will update when I know more!
Old 10-23-2007, 07:33 PM

Picked my truck up tonight and this was the first time in a long time I have actually enjoyed driving my Dakota.

On my 2004 Dakota...after replacing the steering rack, pump and all the hoses, they discovered the real source of the problem was what they called the "intermediate rod" which was binding/sticking.

Apparently the big thing to look for is "steering return"....that is when you make a turn, does your steering want to return back the way it came (straighten out) AND of course it should steer like butter (mine was so rough for so long I thought maybe this how trucks were supposed to be).

So mention intermediate shaft or rod to them if they are having trouble with yours and they have looked at the rack, pump, ball joints, hoses, good pressure test and such.

Hope this helps someone!

JD
Old 10-29-2007, 02:19 PM

The problem usually is the little u-joint on the lower steering shaft (intermediate shaft ) where it connects to the rack & pinion input, it freezes up and makes turning the steering wheel very hard or jerky. The lower shaft list for 166.00 from Dodge, for a 2004 4X4 Dakota. It should take less than an hour to replace.
Hope this helps,
Bruce
Old 10-29-2007, 10:44 PM

Thanks Bruce for clearing up what they were likely talking about.

It has been over a week now and steering is still smooth as butter and so that definitely was the problem. I posted a rant about the dealership on my website, mostly because Iwas peeved they would let a truck leave their shop when they had to know the problem wasn't resolved.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:41 PM

Another 2004 Dakota 4x4 here with the exact same problem as described. So I took it to the dealer to have it checked and surprise, surprise they want to change the Power Steering Pump AND the Rack.

Problem for me is that my warranty ran out 4 months ago so they want to charge me over $2000 for this work to be done. I told the service advisor what I read here in this forum and he went to the mech but of course the mechs ego says no way that its the intermediate shaft. The service adivisor's advice to me if I think it may be the intermediate shaft is to change it at the same time we change the Rack and pump... WTF I was trying to save myself money so they advise me to spend even more!!!!! If it was under warranty I could care less, give me all the new parts you want its your dime, but when its my money you better damn well be sure what you are doing. So I brought it home to figure out what I am going to do with this thing.

So today I decided to to a test of my own, now I am not 100% sure where this intermediate shaft lives but judging from the comments about the u-joint I found a spot that comes off the main steering arm that has a u-joint (knuckle if you prefer) that connects down to the steering rack (accessed from under the hood) so I hosed it down with good ol WD40 as much as I could and went for a ride... guess what, it steered like "butter" ... all the stiffness was gone, it was like a new truck. Now I know this is not a permanent 'fix' but it seems to me that if the pump and rack were bad that squirting some WD40 on a small u-joint would not have solved my problem so I am certain at this point that this part needs to be changed and I will be fine. Anyone agree with this??

Now as for my dealer service department, are they
A) INCOMPETENT
B) RETARDED
C) TRYING TO SCREW THEIR CUSTOMERS
D) ALL OF THE ABOVE

STAY AWAY FROM VARSITY CHRYSLER IN CALGARY, ALBERTA

Old 01-07-2008, 06:51 PM

ALL Of the ABOVE

You would think 4 years (or more) and these guys would be experts at spotting this stuff.

Whats really stupid is that most people would assume this isa Power Steering pump or rack problem and they would only stand to look like a genius by exposing a something unassuming. You certainly have to wonder if the cheap cost ofreplacement is what factors in here. I actually had the dealer twice now tell me something wasn't covered under warranty. Since I am such a **** twit I always call to confirm with my warranty company. Both times I get the line " We haven't even heard from your dealer and yes, it is indeed covered" Screw these dealers...now and forever! (well sometimes )))
Old 01-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Record Breaker

Send a message via AIM to imnothot02

ASE certifcation is a joke anymore, doesn't mean ****, dealers, suck (.) find a mechanic you can trust at a mom and pop type shop
1987 Grand Am 2.5 L Inline(Just keeps going and going...)
Can't forget the work van 04 3500 EXPRESS lol
Old 01-09-2008, 05:23 PM

i also have a 2004 4 x 4 with steering problems. the symptoms are similar to the others on this thread. I just took it in to my dealer today and they checked it out and say the steering coupler on the column is the problem. they are putting it on tommorrow @$300. if it works I will be happy but after reading about others with related problems will wait to see.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:07 AM

i posted before about mine having problems. they told me the same thing about it being the rack. so i went along with them and while they were taking the old rack off the intermediate shaft just 'poped' off when the mech. went to pull on it. apparently the u-joint came apart when he pulled on it, so they replaced the intermediate shaft for free. once i got the truck back the steering has been fine until this week. now when i go around a corner or turn the steering seems gummy in one spot. once it's past that part it seems fine. the spot where it seems gummy is the same for turning left and right. when going around a curve it sticks and when it releases you end up steering to sharp and have to correct back to the stickey spot. i havn't talked to the dealer about it yet and i was wondering of anyone else is having the same issue.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:07 AM

Tags
2006, belt, dakota, dodge, forums, jerky, loose, neon, power, problem, problems, pump, steering, stiff, thaw, truck