2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4.7 Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 10:01 AM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4.7 Cooling

Hi there
I've got a couple of questions, both related to the cooling system of my 4.7.
The first is an occorance that happened last weekend. I'd been driving in heavy traffic with the A/C on (hard to belive, but we do need it over here sometimes!) and when I stopped to fill up with gas I noticed the electric fan stayed on after I switched the engine off. It was still running after I'd filled up and paid and when I got home i had to disconnect the battery to avoid a flat battery in the morning. Its never done this before (or since) and according to the brillient Manual I downloaded, it should always switch off with the ignition. During the period, the temp gauge was at normal or slightly below. In the morning I reconected the battery and fan stayed off untill the either the engine got hot enough or the A/C was switched on, in other words, it behaved as it should. I also conected my Superchips Programer to see if any Fault Codes had been logged but it couldn't find any but I guess having the battery disconected overnight would have wiped any if there were any there. As it hasn't happened again, I'm not too worried but I now keep a 10mm spanner handy in case I have to leave it with the fan running! Any ideas?
The second question is about fitting a 180 stat. The one I've bought (its a Jet) says its for a 4.7 but doesn't look the same as the one in the Manual. It doesn't have the shaft on the back which is used to partialy block the flow. What will this one do? The reason I'm fitting it is that when using the Power program on the Superchip programer, the engine pings under heavy throttle unless I use an expencive Octane booster, even with Super unleaded. I'm hoping the cooler stat will eliminate the pinging and the need for Octane booster but if the new stat doesn't allow the engine to get to operating temp, it will use more fuel, offsetting the saving in Octane booster! Has anyone fitted this type of stat on thier 4.7? Thanks for any info.

Regards,

Paul

Old 09-20-2006, 10:22 AM
DakinUK
Veteran
Default RE: 4.7 Cooling

The running on hasn't happened since so I'm not worried about it but I would like to know if the Jet 180 stat works ok on the 4.7.

Paul

Old 09-20-2006, 02:09 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the stat says it is made for your motor, it will work. many times components that are aftermarket do not look identical to stock parts, simply because a more effecient solution might have been made for either production or purpose. as far as your fan running when you have the key out of the truck, that is a great question! is your fan hard wired to the battery, then to the relay? i will have to look at my manual when i get home.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:23 PM
DakinUK
Veteran

Thanks Virussed for the advice on the Stat. Normaly I'd agree that pattern parts don't always look the same as originals. The only concern is that in the manual that I downloaded, its gives a description of how the cooling system on the 4.7 works and one of the things it mentions is the "shaft" on the stat which partialy blocks the engine bypass. If you look at page 264 you'll see a diagram of the stat and its housing, on page 263 there's the description of how it works. I guess I'll hold putting it in until I hear from somebody how's used one on a 4.7.

Regards,

Paul

Old 09-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know what the exact stat you have looks like, but i would guess it is replacing the shaft with a large ball or "bearing"? if you are so worried about it being the right one or not, take it back.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:23 AM
DakinUK
Veteran

Bit difficult to take back. I bought it whilst on holiday in Florida. The clue is in my Login!

Thanks anyway,

Paul

Quick Reply: 4.7 Cooling