Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 2nd Gen Dakota
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Dakota 1997 - 2004 Dakota's

Automatic Transmission Problem No second gear?

Old 11-30-2006, 04:58 AM
Record Breaker

Send a message via AIM to varsis
Default Automatic Transmission Problem No second gear?

Well First off I got my truck stuck in mud and it was not sealed properly so water got in so I changed it, The transmission was working fine till a week after (which it still had water in there) But then it started to rev a lot higher then normal when going normal speeds. I have come down to the conclusion of missing second gear. There was no metal in the oil pan and the gears 1,3,4 still work just fine it is like no second ever exsisted all of a sudden on day. So is there anyone who can help me? I really would like to fix this problem as I just got this truck and well it makes me mad to know it is not working properly.

Chris
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!

5.9 magnum ---------------- Dana 60 Swap in Progress! ------ Shift Kit -------- straight piped exhaust, with no Cat ------- Clear Lights ----------------- Accel Super Stock Coil Wires ----- K & N Drop in Filter -------- Soon to be sitting on 38's with 5.38 gears!
Old 12-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Record Breaker

Send a message via AIM to virused
Default RE: Automatic Transmission Problem No second gear?

Chris, did you ever get this situation taken care of?
Old 12-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Record Breaker

no, still thinking it is the valve body clogged or something, but I think the 2nd gear clutch works but 2nd gear doesn't engage, as 2nd manual it coasts, pop it into first and it pulls the truck a bit so 2nd works but with 1st gear drive, 2nd gear clutch so not sure but no metal so something clogged.

5.9 magnum ---------------- Dana 60 Swap in Progress! ------ Shift Kit -------- straight piped exhaust, with no Cat ------- Clear Lights ----------------- Accel Super Stock Coil Wires ----- K & N Drop in Filter -------- Soon to be sitting on 38's with 5.38 gears!
Old 12-03-2006, 06:13 AM
Record Breaker

Is it possible for a fuse to cause this? Becuase recently I was checking the fuses under the hood and in side panel and well I noticed a 30 amp one was shot, I was looking for winshielf wipers which was in in the fuse box. But maybe this is it? I am going to replace this tomorrow.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:12 AM

i am interested in this too , i have exacly the same problem it just goes straight to 3rd gear and i think water got in too , i havent drained it but i will do that tomorrow , no check engine light and no codes , will check the oil pan tomorrow and see.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:21 AM
Record Breaker

How do you torque the bands, it had some weird square top and I don't have anything to do that with I have a torque rench etc.. any ideas on how to do this without taking it to a dealer.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:28 AM
Record Breaker

Hmm looked a bit more on the net found this:
http://www.uvsc.edu/ethics/curriculu...es/case15.html

Maybe the band is not adjusted which Is Why I want to adjust mine, but maybe it snapped the band? Im not sure.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:05 AM

i will try to adjust mine tomorrow , looks like a torx bolt and a nut next to the shift lever

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Record Breaker

Well i tried to adjust this band but it seems very hard as everything is in the way. Do I disconnect the stuff infront of me if so how?

Old 01-04-2007, 01:29 AM
Record Breaker

seems to be a streched t.v. cable. I will be replacing it I just have to do it.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:29 AM

Tags
automatic, gear, no, problem, transmission