2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Turning over....... but only for a second?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:15 AM
geoffb123
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning over....... but only for a second?

So I recently just got a new clifford security system/started installed. I love it, especially in the cold weather. But a day after I got it installed, my truck has been acting up, really weird. I hit the button on the remote start and my park lights flash to signal me that the truck is going to start. But heres the problem, it just turns over, but only for a split second. Its like sticking the key in the ignition, but just turning it to start, then quickly turning it back. I never had this problem before. Some people said it could be the starter. Im taking the truck back to the place that installed it so that they can have a look at it and see whats happening. It doesn't do it everytime, just every now and then.

Any opinions on what it could be?

Thanks
Geoff

Old 02-28-2008, 07:35 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Default RE: Turning over....... but only for a second?

ru r/s is proaly set to crank time of .5 or .7 seconds...

Old 02-28-2008, 04:05 PM
geoffb123
Veteran

I've heard it could be that. Almost sounds like it is. But also I forgot to add, after I got the remote start put in, and I try to use the remote to start it, it will sometimes do that. But then if I get in the truck right away and start the truck with my key it does it. It will turn over for about 2 seconds maybe 3 then It catches and idles really low, then it starts to pick up. I have a feeling they messed sometime up. Cause like I said, never has it happened before. Only after the started was installed.

I'll take it in tomorrow and see what happens. I'll mention the crank time to them. Thanks!

Old 02-28-2008, 06:13 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

by any chance you know what model alarm or remote start unit you have?

most of them to enter programing you turn ur ign. on then off, press and hold valet for 3 seconds till you hear1 chirp then you need to get to which feature menu you want 1-4, (with corasponding chirps 1-4)depending on model then sub menu then selectenging checking via tach, hopfully the installer wasnt a lazy a$$and hooked that up then select crank time from .6-4.0 seconds, unless your model has engine learning, im not sure till i have the model # of the r/s unit...

Old 02-28-2008, 09:20 PM
geoffb123
Veteran

It is a clifford, SST. From what they said when they looked at it, they said that its the newest one on the market now.

http://www.drdetailshop.com/sstcliff...ayremotelg.jpg

Thats what the fob looks like.

Not sure if this helps, I'll look when I get home to see if I can find any more info on it.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:36 PM
ricbrk
Professional

I only want to let you know of a problem a buddy had with his system which was his fault. When he installed it, he accidently hooked up the wire to flash the parking lights to the brake lights. There was a four second delay from when the starter turned over until the lights flashed. Now the sytems are designed as to if the brake pedal is pushed, it kills the engine. His truck would startcranking, then it signaled for the lights to flash. Being he hooked it up to the brake lights, it signaled someone was pushing the brake pedal and killed the engine. Drove him crazy until we figured it out.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:01 PM
geoffb123
Veteran

Well I think something like that might have happened with mine also. Sometimes when I r/s it, the truck starts, then kills itself 2 seconds after. Oh well, its under warranty and their going to fix it, not me. But thanks for all your input guys. Really helped me out alot.

Quick Reply: Turning over....... but only for a second?