2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Transmission Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 12:13 AM
kc8wx
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Cooler

Have an 06 Durango SLT with a 4.7L (EVA) and the 545RFE (DGQ) Transmission. I am towing a camper and was going to install an External Transmission Cooler, but upon checking under the panel over the Radiator area, I discovered it hasa Factory Transmission Cooler in front of the Radiator on the left front side. Measuring 5" by 18 1/2", so guessing Towing Cooling Capacity is around 16,000-18,000lbs. based on similar specs of other Coolers.

I can't find anywhere on my VIP Summary report from the Dealer or in the Owner's Manual about the vehicle having a Transmission Cooler. I got it used in January in Fla. Was a Corp. Rental or Lease vehicle.

Does anyone know if the External Transmission Cooler was Standard with the 4.7L and the 5-Spd 545RFE on the SLT Model?? It has several Customer Preferred Packages like 26G and 2TGA plus Heavy Duty Suspension, Shocks and Off Road Tires on 17" rims. Vehicle was Loaded. It is a 2WD. It did Not come with Factory Towing/Hitch/Wiring, but had the Mopar Hitch and Wiring installed by Dealer.

Any info or guidance would be appreciated. I just want to make sure of the Capacity and confirm it was part of the Engine or Tranny Package on that model.

Thanks!

Warren

Old 06-02-2007, 01:18 AM
jasonwyo
Veteran
Default RE: Transmission Cooler

[qoute]Measuring 5" by 18 1/2", so guessing Towing Cooling Capacity is around 16,000-18,000lbs. based on similar specs of other Coolers. [/quote]

Your guessing way too high on that towing capacity. Did you mistakingly thought you bought a Ram 3500 Cummins Diesel???? A hemi durango will only tow around 8000lbs, with your 4.7L your even well below that mark.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:28 AM
kc8wx
Amateur

The Towing Capacity of my Durango with a 3.55 Ratio is 6000lbs. I'm just saying the way they Rate Transmission Coolers is by Towing Capacity (Cooling Capacity), my Cooler size would compare to a 16K-18K Cooler Rating on a similar Tekonsha Defender Transmission Cooler.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:30 PM
mohle

If you want the towing capacity, go to www.trailerlife.com and look at their towing guide. If you do have the cooler, but don't have the factory towing package then it came with the heavy duty service option. I have an 06 with the hemi. With the standard 3.55 gears it's good for around 7700 lbs towing. Had it had the 3.73 gears it would be up to 8600 lbs. Your 4.7 is probably maxed at about 6000 or so. The size of the cooler is only part of the whole equation. Your cooler only cools the hot ATF. You could fry your transmission before your fluid ever hits the cooler. One of the best things you can do is install a transmission temperature gauge. I have put one in every tow vehicle I have ever owned - after a catastrophic failure. Never had a problem since and I regularly tow some pretty good trailers. I had one put in my D last week. This was the most expensive one ever. The gauge to match the factory style was $198. The install by the dealership was $297. Rather high, but they had to tap a hole in transmission for the sensor. They did not put it in the transmission pan as it could have possible touched the valve body. Normal operating temp is approx. 175 degrees farenheit. If you are consistently running at 210 or higher, you are not doing your tranny any favors. I have put o

Old 08-24-2007, 02:28 PM
prm99v6

i believe he was referring to the towing capacity of the cooler " based on specs of other coolers of this size" not towing capacity of the truck. And yes if you have a V8 you have a transmission cooler.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler