2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

cylinder 5 misfire issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:03 PM
marinos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cylinder 5 misfire issue

Hi
I own a 2005 Hemi and I am getting a misfire code. I changed spark plugs and coil and I can't get the code to go away. My mechanic tells me that their is no electric power going to the coil. He checked for a wiring problem and everything seems ok. He is now considering changing my computer. I have not noticed any shaking or loss of power just that annoying service engine light!!!
HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED ANYTHING SIMILAR?

Old 03-12-2009, 06:21 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marinos:

How many miles on your D??

Be aware that some early 5.7 motors had issues with valves dropping and causing expensive repairs.

BTW, if you are under 80k miles, the PCM is warranted through Chrysler for 8 years or 80k.

Don't pay for a new one!!!!
Don

Old 03-12-2009, 11:25 PM
marinos

I have 82k on my D . So I am not covered but thanks for the insight. Any idea how this happened? Can I reprogram the same computer or reset it anyway?

Old 04-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Rick Ross

I have an 04 2500 hemi, and I have the same problem. I have a P0305 code. Cylinder 5 misfire. Thats the only code that pops up. It idles a little rough, and I could feel it misfiring. If anyone has had that issue, I sure could use the feedback.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:27 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you replace the spark plugs, #5 coil, or the injector for #5? (I'd do them in that order, resetting the computer and running it for a bit after each one. I listed them in order from cheapest and easiest to most expensive and hardest.)

Old 04-29-2011, 09:54 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick:

Doing the steps suggested by Jason will give you some insight to be able to rule those things out.

Another thought to ponder is are your plug wires OEM? If so, it might be time for a new set.

A more serious issue would be the valve spring issues that the 04 and some 05 Hemis are known for. If you eliminate everything external to the motor, it might pay to pull the valve cover on that side and do a visual inspection of the springs for that cylinder.

If a spring collapses, the valve drops into the motor and the motor is toast.

How many miles on the Hemi? Are you hearing any high pitched upper end sounds from it?

Don

Old 05-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Rick Ross

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I still have the stock wires on it. I had changed the spark plugs about 5,000 miles ago. The truck has bout 160,000 miles on it. I will check the plugs when I git home. Also, isn't there a way to check the coil with an ohm meter? I heard you could do that, or the injector? I also was wondering if the coil is bad and I wanna upgrade to MSD coils, will it make a noticable difference in power and economy? I have heard of people changing the plug wires for the shorty wires too, I found Some 409 Race wires that were 10.4mm. Has anyone tried those? Sorry if I'm gitin outta the thread a bit, but if I change anything I don't like to buy oem.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:03 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

NM wrong thread

Last edited by TNtech; 05-13-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:57 PM
Slickrick67

Originally Posted by marinos
Hi
I own a 2005 Hemi and I am getting a misfire code. I changed spark plugs and coil and I can't get the code to go away. My mechanic tells me that their is no electric power going to the coil. He checked for a wiring problem and everything seems ok. He is now considering changing my computer. I have not noticed any shaking or loss of power just that annoying service engine light!!!
HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED ANYTHING SIMILAR?

Try replacing camshaft sensor & or crankshaft sensor cheapest way to start out. If computer is going they can rebuild your original board for A LOT less.i work on my own vehicles bought a cheap obdi tester 80$ that plugs in under the dashboard usually around hood or brake release. It has saved me thousands of dollars. You can confirm your mechanic isn't trying to bleed your wallet dry. Check engine light will usually turn off after disconnecting battery for a few mins. Or the tester can erase all codes turns off engine light. And start fresh.

Old 03-31-2023, 12:28 PM
icreepin
Amateur

Morning,

Turns out my 2012 is having the same issues. Other then the engine light it drives the same.

I had the plug and coil replaced with the same issues. I am taking it to the dodge dealer who is going to replace the PMC valve and the fuel injector.

Quick Reply: cylinder 5 misfire issue