2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Hemi Spark Plugs

Old 01-22-2005, 10:43 PM
cgptex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi Spark Plugs

I've got 37k miles on my 2004 Durango Hemi. It is time to change plugs. Dodge puts a standard plug (Champion RE14MCC4) plug that is good for about 30K miles. I'd like to switch to the Bosh +4 Platinum, but Bosh doesn't list any plugs for any year newer than 2003. Does anyone know where I can find a crossover chart for Champion to Bosh? By the way the dealer gets $139.00 to replace the plugs. It would be worth it if I could get them to put platinum plugs in.
For those of you who don't already know there are 16 plugs, each with it's own coil and according to the dealer there is no distributer. It is a totally electronic ignition. Open the hood sometime and look at the back two on each bank and you'll know why the dealer gets $139.00.

Old 01-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Silver Eagle
Captain
Default RE: Hemi Spark Plugs

try champion.com

Old 04-30-2008, 08:05 PM
05ramhemi4x4

16 plugs

On my 05 hemi i only see 8 coils... right next is plug wire ...

When i called dodge they said that was only for the flex fuel. they even ran my vin number to make sure.. maybe there nuts lol

they quoted me 140 to replace them labor only .. I can get plugs at kragens for 1.35 plug.. though

i called the seviced department today they said that plaitum arnet a good idea some guy tryed some they said and it jacked it whole elecrtic system..

steve

Old 04-30-2008, 09:59 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve:

The reason you only see 8 coils is because each coil fires two plugs at the same time. The system fires one plug on the power stroke, and another plug on the other side of the engine on the exhaust stroke. Its an emissions thing.

Although Chrysler and others have said not to run platinum, I am the rebel and have hadthe platinum equivalent of the OEM plug by Champion in my 4.7 for 40k now. No issues, and the gap is still .040.

I can testify that the OEM plugs were shot at 30k.

YMMV. Don

Old 04-30-2008, 11:48 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 05ramhemi4x4

16 plugs

On my 05 hemi i only see 8 coils... right next is plug wire ...

When i called dodge they said that was only for the flex fuel. they even ran my vin number to make sure.. maybe there nuts lol

they quoted me 140 to replace them labor only .. I can get plugs at kragens for 1.35 plug.. though

i called the seviced department today they said that plaitum arnet a good idea some guy tryed some they said and it jacked it whole elecrtic system..

steve
Which dealer do you go to...it's not the one in the roseville automall is it? Whoever you're talking to knows nothing about the hemi engine or how sparkplugs work.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:28 AM
markgpz
Rookie

I replaced the stock plugs in my 04 D Hemi Limited at 45k. The stock Champion plugs I had removed had a gap of .049. The starting gap is .045. They could of easily went to 60k. I wouldn't use Champion plugs in my lawn mower much less in my Hemi, so I put in Autolite APP5263 Double Platinum plugs that are rated for 100k miles minimum. I've got over 25k on the Autolite plugs now and the Hemi is running as new. I tow trailers much of the year and have had no issues. Do yourself a favor and put a "real" set of spak plugs in the Hemi. Most car/truck manufactures use Autolite/ NGK /ND in the platinum varity. You won't be dissapointed with any of these brands.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:12 PM
rsudol

Ok, so could someone give me a good platinum brand and part number. Im thinking of doing it my self. so how many hours should one figure for doing it. And do you recomend changing the coils as well or no. Ive got just shy 90k miles on my original set of plugs. Also does anyone know the socket size and proper depth of the extension ill need.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:45 AM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rsudol:

See two posts above for an Autolite P/N. I would not replace the coils unless they are bad. They "should" last the life of the motor. 90k is pretty good for a set of plugs, but I bet you will find they are ready for the trash bin.

Gas here hit $3.95 gallon this morning in Ohio, so every little bit of efficiency will help.

I can't advise on needed tools or time, but others have reported success as long as you take your time.

Don

Old 04-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Maxsteele1992

Originally Posted by rsudol
Ok, so could someone give me a good platinum brand and part number. Im thinking of doing it my self. so how many hours should one figure for doing it. And do you recomend changing the coils as well or no. Ive got just shy 90k miles on my original set of plugs. Also does anyone know the socket size and proper depth of the extension ill need.

Alldata calls for 2 hours. youll need a 5/8 spark plug socket, a six inch extension as well as a three inch for the back. A universal is handy too

Old 04-22-2011, 10:50 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

He most likely changed them already sine the thread is from 2008,
FF

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hemi Spark Plugs