2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Gas fill overflow on my 06 durango

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Savegas?it'satruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I help?

Hey all, my wifes 06 D has the same problem and like many of you I thought it was just mine. It really is a safety issue. I'm new to the forum and don't really know what I can do to help our cause. I'm a Marine and live month to month to pay the bills. I know I'm not alone in this but I don't use credit cards exept extreme emergencies so I will have to save up to fix this problem. Does anyone know if there's a cheaper way to rectify this? I'm a helicopter mechanic so doing it myself is not a problem. Thanks in advance and if there's anything I can do to help just let me know.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:22 PM
TJDurango2006

The only way to fix it is to replace the fuel tank. I'm not sure if that is something you want to do.

Otherwise, I recommend you call Chrysler directly and see what they can do for you. As you have already read, others in this forum have had luck with Chrysler paying for most of the repairs.

Also, file a complaint with the NHTSA. The more the merrier.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:13 AM
z71kris

on a recent trip to Florida from Ohio almost every tank I filled overflowed, and had to go into the gas station to have them clean it up, many asking what had happened and having to explain the defect to them...
edit who do we contact at nhtsa? I though I saw a email address at one point but can not seem to find now...

Old 05-10-2011, 03:56 PM
HatingDodge78
Default '08 Durango

I've been dealing with this since the day I bought my Durango. I got mine in used in January. First it was the gas spewing. Then after getting a new tank (at least it didn't cost me anything), I traded in one problem for another. Since the tank swap, I've been unable to fill my tank in under 15 minutes. The nozzle clicks off after a few dollars and again and again after anywhere from six cents to four dollars until I've pulled the "trigger" about 20 times to get a full tank. I also had the filler neck replaced. That didn't fix the problem either. I just went to the deal yesterday (Crown Dodge in Ventura, CA) and told them that if the problem can't be fixed I'm going to get out of the deal. It's still under warranty (1000 miles left), so from what I've read, I'm covered under the Lemon Law. My suggestion to anyone having this problem is to get out of your Durango and into another car. The people at Crown Dodge are completely incompetent. And I'm guessing it's not much better at any other Chrysler dealership.

I found this on YouTube. I wonder if Chrysler has seen it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS5U63CN-II

Old 05-11-2011, 02:23 PM
rcatty
Amateur
Default same thing, keep trying

I went through 2 tanks, one filler neck tube, and replacement of the evaporator canister materials/parts before my problem was fixed. Here's the deal: there is a recall/and or technical service bulletin(tsb) on the problem. The technical service bulletin provides the only fix that Chrysler has. The dealer has to keep going through the protocol until the problem is solved. Make sure that the dealer is using the tsb protocol and following the procedures therein. As I stated, it took 2 tanks and more before my problem was solved, and I had the exact same set of symptoms you complain of; i.e. tank overfill, replace tank, then the tank won't accept gas. Obviously, the design of the emissions system(which this is part of) is defective. This problem is occurring on all Chrysler products, across different models and years. Just keep having your dealer follow the tsb protocol. Good luck!

Old 05-11-2011, 04:17 PM
z71kris

Originally Posted by rcatty
I went through 2 tanks, one filler neck tube, and replacement of the evaporator canister materials/parts before my problem was fixed. Here's the deal: there is a recall/and or technical service bulletin(tsb) on the problem. The technical service bulletin provides the only fix that Chrysler has. The dealer has to keep going through the protocol until the problem is solved. Make sure that the dealer is using the tsb protocol and following the procedures therein. As I stated, it took 2 tanks and more before my problem was solved, and I had the exact same set of symptoms you complain of; i.e. tank overfill, replace tank, then the tank won't accept gas. Obviously, the design of the emissions system(which this is part of) is defective. This problem is occurring on all Chrysler products, across different models and years. Just keep having your dealer follow the tsb protocol. Good luck!
is the TSB or recall for 05 or 06's? They only one I have seen is for the 05's

Old 05-12-2011, 12:35 PM
rcatty
Amateur
Default TSB gas tank

I have an 06 Durango, and the Dealer came up with the service bulletin for that model. He then showed me his computer screen which detailed the TSB, and all the models it applied to. I saw at least 30 different models and years listed. I'm sure your model is listed. However, this should not be rocket science. The dealer should show you the TSB. In addition, I have seen it on the internet. Try doing a google search. I know its there. In addition, the dealer I had was getting frustrated because he was on his second tank with me. He called Chrysler, and they said just to keep replacing parts as listed in the protocol. Keep us posted. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:43 PM
rcatty
Amateur
Default tsb in this forum

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 14-001-09, DATED
APRIL 15, 2009, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A
COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT
REVISIONS.
SUBJECT:
Hard To Fill With Fuel Or Fuel Nozzle Shuts Off Repeatedly
MODELS:
2004 -2008 (CS) Pacifica
2009 (DS) Ram Truck (1500)
2007 - 2009 (DH) Ram Truck (1500/2500 Pick Up)
2004 - 2009 (DR) Ram Truck (1500 / 2500 Pick Up)
2005 - 2009 (HB) Durango
2007 - 2009 (HG) Aspen
2005 - 2009 (ND) Dakota
2009 (JC) Journey
2007 - 2009 (JK) Wrangler
2007 - 2009 (J1) Sebring (China CKD)
2007 - 2009 (JS) Sebring/Sebring Convertible/Avenger
2006 - 2009 (K1) Cherokee (CKD)
2007 - 2009 (KA) Nitro
2008 - 2009 (KK) Liberty
2008 - 2009 (KK) Cherokee (International Markets)
2005 - 2007 (KJ) Liberty
2005 - 2007 (KJ) Cherokee (International Markets)
2005 - 2009 (LE) 300C/300C Touring (International Markets)
2005 - 2009 (LX) 300/Magnum/Charger
2007 (L2) 300 (China)
2008 - 2009 (LC) Challenger
2004 - 2009 (PT) Chrysler PT Cruiser
NUMBER: 14-001-09 REV. A
GROUP: Fuel
DATE: September 1, 2009
2007 (R2) Caravan/Voyager (CKD)
2005 - 2007 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
2003 - 2007 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
2008 - 2009 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Caravan
2008 - 2009 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Voyager (International
Markets)
2005 - 2006 (TJ) Wrangler
2005 - 2009 (WH) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)
2005 - 2009 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2006 - 2009 (XH) Commander (International Markets)
2006 - 2009 (XK) Commander
NOTE: This bulletin applies to all vehicles equipped with a gasoline engine.
DISCUSSION:
Customer may report that the vehicle is hard to fill with fuel or that the fuel pump nozzle
shuts off repeatedly while trying to fill vehicle.
This customer complaint can occur due to a number of different causes. The fuel tank is
the least likely cause of this condition. The following Diagnostic procedure can be used to
diagnose the issues.
DIAGNOSIS:
1. Is the vehicle a LX/LE/LC/L2?
a. Yes >> proceed to Step #2
b. No >> proceed to Step #4
2. Idle the vehicle 60 to 90 seconds upon stopping.
3. Does tank refill properly?
a. No >> proceed to Step #4
b. Yes >> Inform the customer to idle the vehicle for 60 to 90 seconds upon stopping if
vehicle was driven aggressively. This is due to the fact that on the LX/LE/LC/L2 the
fuel tank is a unique saddle tank design and needs 30 to 60 seconds while the
engine is running to level the fuel in both half's of the fuel tank. Allowing the vehicle
to idle for this amount of time will let the fuel pump transfer fuel to the left side tank,
opening the control valve and allowing normal fuel filling.
4. Disconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
5. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
6. Does tank refill properly?
a. Yes >> Proceed to Step #7
b. No>> Proceed to Step #11.
7. Reconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
8. Disconnect the other end of the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel filler tube.
9. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
10. Does tank refill properly?
a. Yes >> Replace fuel filler tube.
b. No >> Replace the vapor recirculation tube.
11. Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.
14-001-09 REV. A -2-
12. Reconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
13. Does tank refill properly?
a. No >> Replace Fuel Tank.
b. Yes >> Proceed to Step #14.
14. Reconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.
15. Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the EVAP canister.
16. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
17. Does tank refill properly?
a. Yes >> Blockage is in the EVAP Canister, or ESIM, or Clean air hose (ESIM vent
hose), or filter. Diagnose appropriately.
b. No >> Replace the control valve to EVAP canister tube.
POLICY:
Information Only
Master Body Mechanical,Master Brakes.2 year associates degree for Chrysler.

New business please take a look at it for me Serving Georgia natural gas and Texas for electricity. Now serving Pennsylvania.
http://kevinkellerenergy.igniteinc.biz

http://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/c...p-10491/page2/

Old 05-17-2011, 03:45 PM
mikeforpope

I think I got lucky with my Durango. I have an 05 and started having this problem. First thing I did was take it to the local Dodge dealership to see if it was part of the recall. I wasn't included. I ended up filing a complaint a while back on the NHTSA but never heard back from them at all.

Then I remembered when I bought my Durango used from CarMax, I added an extended warranty. The gas tank was covered on this. The first time they tried to fix it, they told me that they needed to replace the entire tank. After the repair, it was having the issue similar to others, where you can put in a couple bucks of fuel, then it shuts the pump off. I took it back to CarMax again and said there is another problem. The found out that they were sent a used tank and that they would for sure get a new tank to replace it.

Ever since they used a new tank, I've had no problems. And it only cost me a $50 copay.

Best of luck to all the others with this problem. I know how back it sucks.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:12 PM
dodgegasproblem
Default Same problem - new video.

Hey everyone, thanks for all the information in this thread. Have an '06 Durango, same issue started with 50k in mileage.

As others have done, I filed a complaint and called Chrysler for assistance. It was a bit of a process as I had to educate the dealer, who didn't have a clue. But, at least Chrysler admitted that this is a recurring problem and offered to help me through the process.

I posted a new video on Youtube you can check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ8by8tOZjQ

Just yesterday, the dealer replaced the tank. I have yet to try to put gas in the tank to see if the on and off filling problem occurs. My advice for those who haven't called Chrysler is to call and demand the safety issue is fixed for no charge. They first said, "due to being a loyal Chrysler customer" they would cover the repair except for a $350 copay. I demanded they cover it in full. They came back a couple days later and said they would cover 100%. The dealer tried to then bill me for a $100 copay as well.

This isn't only a safty issue, it's also and environmental one (as the video shows). I bet the EPA would be interested in this problem.

I'm not that confident that the repair is going to work. The service manager said to me yesterday, that he hopes the repair takes care of the problem (they don't even know). I'll find out today if the fix was actually fixed. Good luck everyone.

Quick Reply: Gas fill overflow on my 06 durango