2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Gas fill overflow on my 06 durango

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 02:18 PM
barb123978
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 durango and filler neck

Hello,

just giving an update, the part ( the filler neck) has an eta which is subject to change for May 10th.......can't wait......

Old 05-21-2016, 01:50 PM
barb123978

update on the filler neck, delivery date june 3..fingers crossed

Old 06-26-2016, 03:36 PM
barb123978
Default filler neck in

Hello,

well the filler neck was installed and I guess they really didn't test the work, it still has the same issue....I spoke to the service manager and he said I need to schedule another appointment so they can see what it is.....man, now this work truck again has to be pulled off the road...great.....

Old 06-27-2016, 10:07 AM
rcatty
Amateur
Default Read TSB

Please find and read the Technical service bulletin on this issue. It should be in this thread. If not notify me and I will help you find it.

You need to educate yourself on the issue, and do not rely upon a service technician who may not know about the issue. The problem with the overfill was rampant a few years ago, and most of us have gotten it repaired by now. Hence, the issue may not be on the "front burner" of every service tech out there.

Here is what I did several years ago. I read and printed the TSB on the issue. I had the TSB in hand with me when I went to the service counter at my local Dodge dealer. I also had this forum thread highlighted on my laptop to show the tech if necessary.

You need to totally educate yourself on the problem, so that you can, in a nice, respectful way, alert the service tech to the TSB (which you will have in your hand). Once you have the info uppermost in your mind you can relay it to the service tech. Do not go back to the dealer with your "hands in your pocket, looking aw shucks..."

Finally, and most importantly, the competency of Dodge dealer repair facilities runs the gamut. There are extremely competent people out there and
"also rans'. Make sure you are going to a top notch Dodge dealer. As an example:

Years ago, I needed to swap out a Sirius radio in an 06 Durango that lacked a satellite antenna. The first dealer had no clue (Minneapolis) what to do. The second dealer (Martinsville, Indiana) told me exactly what had to happen. There was a night and day difference in competency between the two dealers! I have seen the same response with respect to the overflow issue.

My suggestion besides arming yourself with the TSB, and link to this forum, is to get on the phone, and call 2-3 dealers in your area, and ask them about the issue. You will be amazed at the variance in the responses.

Finally, the original TSB on the issue had a multiple step solution listed. The repair tech was to go through each step in an attempt to resolve the problem. Later the company, I believe, narrowed the problem to the filler neck. But that might not be sufficient for you. Thus, have the multi-step TSB with you.

I have had 3 06 Durangos, two had the problem big time. I have had X number of parts replaced, including at least two gas tanks.

Get your education, and find the right dealer !

Old 10-27-2016, 10:38 AM
Cyndi Davis
Default Any answers?

My 05 is doing same thing and my mechanic is stumped and dealership said my truck was fixed under the recall. I just wanna get gas without the gas spilling.
Originally Posted by Maryland2009
The 2005 Durango gas fill problem is an official NHTSA recall item. I found this out on my own through the web. Dodge claims to have no information because their dealerships even know the NHTSA website exists (according to my local service department and the Dodge 800 customer service line.) Unfortunately, you might have to jump through hoops to get your tank replaced if you don't have the right VIN#. I didn't, so the song & dance began. Many calls later - I got a new tank. NOW I have a new problem with the replacement tank...it won't accept the gas & cuts off every $.50 or so. It takes forever to fill up. I've had it back to the dealer service more times that I can remember. I love my Durango but this is just too much now...

Old 10-28-2016, 07:22 AM
MIKEon22s
Captain

The recall done on mine was later followed up with a letter from dodge stating a lifetime unlimited warranty on the tank and internal flap. Sorry i have since sold it and no longer have the document.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:56 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyndi Davis
My 05 is doing same thing and my mechanic is stumped and dealership said my truck was fixed under the recall. I just wanna get gas without the gas spilling.

Keep bugging them.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:00 PM
rcatty
Amateur

Please read all of the responses in this thread. You will find all of the info that you need to resolve your problem. First and foremost find the technical service bulletins that cover this issue. You will find a link to it in this thread. Secondly, and most importantly, you have to find the "right" dealer. All service techs are not the same. There is a wide variance in their competency, and knowledge of this problem. Furthermore, the problem with the gas tanks overflowing or backing up is fading with time, as more of the problem cars are traded in, or out of service. In addition, it is likely that the majority of the cars with that problem may have already been repaired. So you have to hunt around. Please read my above post about the installation of a Sirius satellite radio in my '06 Durango. The first Dodge service tech had no clue as to installation of the radio. However, a second service tech at a different dealer knew exactly what to do. Coincidentally, I had similar problems with the gas tank issue. One tech had no clue yet another was right on it. So call and shop around. But first get educated. Dodge will fix the problem, but you may have to do some grunt work. Good luck , and please keep us posted. There are people here that will help you!

Quick Reply: Gas fill overflow on my 06 durango